PDA

View Full Version : Identify algae and possible solution

reefbrian88
12/06/2013, 05:44 PM
I was wondering what type of algae this is. It is starting to take over my tank and starting to grow around some of my corals and I am afraid of having my corals choked out.

My levels are as follows:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0-5ppm
Phosphate - 0-.25ppm
pH - 8.0
Alk - 8dKH
Calcium - 400ppm
Magnesium - 1350ppm

I do use RODI water to change and I change the water 10% every 2 weeks. I only have 2 clowns, 1 purple firefish, and a blue spotted jawfish so I do not feed that much and I also target feed to prevent any extra.

My light cycle is as follows:
11am to 11pm - Actinics on
12pm to 10pm - daylights on

TheCatsWrasse
12/06/2013, 07:47 PM
looks like hair algae how long has your tank been set up?

reefbrian88
12/06/2013, 08:55 PM
6 months

TheCatsWrasse
12/06/2013, 10:55 PM
your tanks still kinda young but the best thing u can do is take out that powerhead and clean it off get that algae off it and clean off the tank walls you can also get some something that will eat the algae your local fish store will know what to give ya (most likley) but if you dont run any gfo or anything of the sort you could get some chemipure elite it will take your phosphates down and make your water look great

TheCatsWrasse
12/07/2013, 02:58 AM
also id take atleast one of the powerheads and bring them closer to the top of the tank the very top of your tank needs to be disturbed (the top of your tank should have a rippled look) it helps w. oxygen levels and converting harmful algae causing bacteria into gas try some of that and let me know how it goes