PDA

View Full Version : Nuvo 16 suggestions

Texan78
12/08/2013, 07:50 PM
Hello all, new to the forum even though I have lerked them for years. I currently have a 100G reef aquarium that has all the bells and whistles as well as a 100G high tech planted tank.

I am building my daughter a nano reef tank for Christmas and have ordered the Nuvo 16 as she likes it and so do I and looks like the best solution. I have a couple of questions regarding the keep of a nano tank as I have been doing a lot of research on them and some can get pretty involved. I am trying to get this low tech but don't mind if I have to spend some money on this as my daughter deserves this. She wants to be a marine biologist so thought this would be a cool gift. Not to mention she has been wanting one for her room.

I am curious what can I get by with and without needing. These little tanks seem to be a challenge for me even though they are smaller it seems it is less to work with. Currently the lighting I have purchased with this is the 24" EVO Quad LED Light System by Green Element which has 3 watt LEDs 20x 10000K and 8x Actinic 460nm. Keep in mind this is a kids tank. So doesn't have to be to eleberate. She's a good kid but I am not investing in a AI Nano for it just yet until i know she will maintain this tank.. :lol: We only plan to put in soft corals and maybe some LPS that we could get by with. With that fixture being 3 watts I should be able to get by with that. I also got two Hydor Nano pumps for circulation. Again, kid tank, MP10's not in the budget at the moment till she proves to me she will keep it up. Then we can talk upgrades with Apex controllers and MP10's, Nanos etc. I am upgrading the baskets with the InTank design baskets. I am curious on what media and what order people have theirs in. I would like to do a refuigum in it. Lastly, can I get by without the skimmer? I am thinking since this tank is so small the weekly water changes would eliminate the need for a skimmer. I don't mind if I need to get one but was curious if I really needed it. If it would make a huge difference then I am ok with it.

So any suggestions and advice would be greatly welcomed. This little nano tanks are rather cool but as I am learning they can get pretty involved.

-Thanks

terrypercula
12/08/2013, 08:00 PM
Sound like you're on a good track. I have one in tank media basket in mine running a sponge and macro algaes for some natural filtration. The other side I'm running the stock filtration and if you keep it cleaned it works well enough. People seem to like running the chemi pure and purigen and filter floss in the media baskets though I have little to no experience with these products. I do run a skimmer but no they're not necessary at all. Two hydor pumps will work great. I only had one before upgrading to an mp10 not that long ago. I don't really know anything about those lights so I won't comment in those. It should be an awesome set up! Looking forward to seeing more of it.

DrinkinPepsi
12/08/2013, 08:01 PM
That LED will be plenty for anything you could possibly ever keep in that tank.

I run 2 Ecoxotic panorama strips in mine and I cant even turn them up all the way.

As far as filter media I only run Chemipure elite and weekly water changes. There is no need for ta skimmer in a tank that small and it can be tough to get one that fits if you do not have some sort of sump.

Texan78
12/08/2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I do have plenty of chemi pure and purigen and filter floss because of my two tanks so that shouldn't be a problem putting in there. I just noticed that what it came with seemed a little weak.

I.M. does make a skimmer for this exact tank so that is why I was curious if I could get by without it. Here it is...

http://innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/skim-mate.html

Texan78
12/08/2013, 09:39 PM
I am also wondering if I did decide to go with a MP10 does anyone think 1 would be plenty for this size tank?

-Thanks

DrinkinPepsi
12/08/2013, 10:02 PM
i run 1 MP10 in my 12 gal cube on its lowest setting

terrypercula
12/08/2013, 10:08 PM
I have one on mine and run it in reef crest at about %30 power. Trust me one is plenty lol I've seen two mp10's push a standing wave in a 4ft 150 gallon tank.

Texan78
12/08/2013, 10:18 PM
Ah yea, after finding some videos on YouTube I think 1 would be more than plenty if I decided to ever add an MP10.

-Thanks

ThreeMoneyJ
12/09/2013, 11:17 PM
Here's what I've done with mine and I'm happy....

-stock lights changed to Reefbreeders 16. I like adjustability and a bit of a bluer look.

-stock return pump changed out for a MJ 1200 for more flow

-spin streams

-Intank media baskets with filter floss, carbon, and LR rubble

-IM skimmer. I cut the return pipe in half so that I could raise it higher and get it skimming.

-IM media reactor with GFO media

-Hydor Nano powerhead.

-Neo Therm heater.

I just realized that I changed everything in the tank!! One of these days ill learn to leave well enough alone.

Anyway it's running as a mixed reef and doing well.

baxinabox
12/10/2013, 07:10 PM
Hey Texan!

The IM Marine 16 is a good starter tank. what i would do right off the bat is the following.

leave the lights alone. these are good enough for soft coral.
upgrade the return pump. a higher power Rio pump will work. ( if you wanna splurge a ehiem would be better. )
The skimmer is a nice addon ( not needed if you do weekly water changes. )
but either the new Caddies to hold media i would say for sure get. the ones it comes with
cannot hold chemi pure / purigen / filter floss ( this is the best combo i have found )

hope this helps.
the spin stream is meh at best. i have one and its clogged a good portion of the time. i just took it out.

Texan78
12/10/2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that information that is very helpful.

The lights I already ordered and received. When I bought the Nuvo 16 I bought the one without the lights as it was cheaper without them and I wanted a light with a timer between the 10K and actinics' because I know she would forget and probably fry the coral Lol. Also wanted something a little more incase she wanted to expand in her coral selection some day.

I forgot all about the pump. I remember reading about the one it came with wasn't real good. What GPH should I be looking for. Off the top of my head I am not sure what it comes with now. I don't even think I looked to be honest. So that sounds like that will be a good upgrade. Would it be the Eheim 600 Compact Pump?

I am going to hold off on the skimmer. I really didn't or don't think I need it with the water changes. If it becomes a problem at least I know it is available.

The inTank media baskets have been ordered and on their way. I knew that was one thing I definitely wanted to upgrade as they looked rather limited and cheap. I already have all the media so that should work out great.

That spin stream looked rather cheesy so thanks for the heads up. I am going to see how these to Hydor nanos work out and if they aren't sufficient we will upgrade to an MP10 as I am sure we will add that at some point anyways. I have two MP40's in my 100G on an Apex and love them. MP40 would be way to much for her tank though and waaaaay pricey as it cost more than then entire setup...LoL

Any recommendations on a fuge light? I was looking at the one inTank sold but read it got really hot and sometimes will shatter.

Hopefully it will be here any day now. It has been sitting at the UPS hub in my town since last week but hasn't been delivered yet. We had some nasty weather Thursday through the weekend but they rescheduled it for Monday and it is now Tuesday and still don't have it. So hopefully I will have it tomorrow. Nice thing is my neighbor across the street from me is a huge saltwater dealer so free live rock and discounted frags plus we can take some from the 100G too. Once we get it setup and going will snap a few pics to post.

Texan78
12/11/2013, 09:36 PM
Ok so this is what I have at the moment ordered and on its way or have already. Let me know if there is anything I am missing or can change out or do differently or would add. Seems like this is becoming more than expected but it's all worth it to me.

Changed the stock return pump out with a Eheim 600.

I got the tank without lights so it was cheaper and gave me more options to work with for lighting so purchased a 24" EVO Quad LED Light System by Green Element which has 3 watt LEDs 20x 10000K and 8x Actinic 460nm which is here.

Replaced the stock media baskets with the inTank design media baskets and fuge. Will be using floss, purigen, chemi-pure in them. In the fuge just chato moss. (Still looking for a good fuge light)

Got a 100w Hydor heater to put behind it in the sump if that is what you call them on a Nano.

2 Hydor nano circulation pumps. (May upgrade to a MP10 depending on well the Hydors work)

I am holding off on the skimmer at the moment and see how that works out since we will be doing weekly water changes when we do the other tanks.

Live rock I am getting for free from my neighbor and frags we will get from him as well and from our 100G display tank in our living room.

Bottom will be the eco bio-sand mixed with crushed coral to add a little texture.

So is there anything I am missing and could add or do differently? Any recommendations on a little fuge light?

I was suppose to have the Nuvo last week but UPS I think has apparently lost it as it has been a week that it shows it sitting at the hub waiting to be delivered and I am starting to get irritated. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or I am going to go postal! LoL I don't need anymore bad news as we just found out our other 100G project we're working on is being delayed 3 weeks because they just made the tank yesterday when it was ordered a month ago. So that is 3 more weeks of waiting on that so it can cure and not blow out. Anyways, that's something different. Any feedback and suggestions are welcomed.

-Thanks!

baxinabox
12/23/2013, 03:53 PM
texan, sorry for the late reply.

JBJ makes a good fuge light. but sounds like you are off to a great start with the tank.
Also auto top off ( for RO/DI water ) you should check out the IM ATO. very nice unit.

Hentz
12/23/2013, 06:25 PM
It sounds like you have everything good!
I like the spin streams, they create a nice random flow. Also when your snail rides them, it's quite funny! Can't wait to see it up and running

londonloco
02/07/2014, 08:26 AM
Updates?

ExpensiveHobby
02/07/2014, 10:23 AM
here my nuvo16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVeAQkwfsbU

MP10(overkill)
Spin streams (if you have MP10 these are unnecessary but they came with the tank)
IM Skimmer (wouldnt recommend)
(1) IM custom Caddy media basket used as a refugium for chaeto (highly recommend)
IM Magnafuge light for refugium (HIGGGGHHLY RECOMMEND)
upgraded return pump to Cobalt MJ1200 (295 gph vs stock 211 gph)
BuildMyLED custom spectrum light

londonloco
02/07/2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, tank is looking great!

agranoff
02/07/2014, 01:10 PM
ExpensiveHobby - what do you have above the refuge chamber - is that chemi-pure elite?

I have a similar setup except I have my manafuge vertical and the magnet in the top part of the same chamber because with it being in the next chamber over it was preventing me from putting a reactor in there. What do you have in the next chamber oover from it?

What are you running in the chamber next to the skimmer in terms of filters?