PDA

View Full Version : when hitchikers are... awesome

teemee
12/08/2013, 08:38 PM
I currently have a candy crab in my dendronephthea, and squat lobsters in each of my feather stars, and i can honestly say i spend more time looking for/at these then almost anything else right now in my tank.
I've only had the feather stars for a couple of weeks - i have an nps system, so I thought considering I'm broadcast feeding rotifers, baby brine, plankton and a ton of other stuff, i'd give them a shot. Each initially had two squat lobsters, one larger one and one smaller one. The larger ones are both doing well, both the small ones are both gone, or I can't see them. But I do have seahorses, so they could have been a tasty treat.
I recently tore my tank apart to catch a crab that had grown from dime size to big enough to kill a seahorse and several other small fish. bugger...
I'd love to hear about anyone elses awesome non-pest hitchikers. Or any cool not so welcome ones, too. How they are doing, and how long you've had them.

Calappidae
12/08/2013, 10:04 PM
I got a beautiful hitchhiking open brain coral. During the day time he is cyan blue, and at night he turns lime green from the moonlights. I also got a really cool serpent starfish, I never see him out in the open but i like to watch his legs move around outside his burrow. All good hitchhikers go in my 10g :)