PDA

View Full Version : 1st nano reef

Mr.SVT
12/09/2013, 07:42 AM
I have been a freshwater fish keeper for years up until about 4 years ago. My ex-girlfriend's father had an absolutely gorgeous 220Gallon reef and ever since the first time I saw it I wanted one. I had started off with a 90gallon FOWLR and kept in it a Hawaiian Triggerfish, a blue tang, a few damsels, and also one of the most remarkable fish I had ever seen-My beloved longhorned cowfish. After fighting for months trying to keep the triggerfish and damsels from nipping at my cowfish, sadly he was under enough stress he released his toxins and wiped out the tank. The 90 gallon then became home to my serrasalmus rhombeus(freshwater). I had promised myself never to attempt another marine aquarium without first doing all required research (That cowfish actually changed me. Ive never witnessed a fish with such a personality. Also this was my first ever unnatural loss). Long story short, the new girlfriend wants a reef tank. I'm willing to take a stab at it (but not looking to invest much), but first want to take all precautions to avoid taking the lives of anymore of these amazing creatures. I have set up a 30 gallon tank. And have a few questions.

I am currently running
-Aquaclear 70 filter w/all included media
-Aquaclear 110 modded into fuge w/ Chemipure, liverock rubble, and chaeto
-1 750GPH powerhead
-2 bulb t5 light system

So far the system has been cycling for about 1.5 months. Ammonia has dropped and I believe im ready for fish.

I plan on keeping
-Pair of clownfish
-Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp pair
-1 Bangaii(?) Cardinalfish
-Corals and anenomies that I know absolutely NOTHING about.

so my questions
-will my tank be overstocked?
-Am I lacking any equiptment?
-How do you care for corals and anenomies?

PS. I cannot obtain advise from my LFS due to the fact they are COMPLETE *******S who will lie through their teeth to make sales(thats all they care about)

Any info and advise would be greatly aprreciated. Looking forward to learning new things on this site! thanks alot!

Mr.SVT
12/09/2013, 07:56 AM
*Also I have failed to mention I have 10lbs live sand and aprrox 20lbs cured live rock

terrypercula
12/09/2013, 09:05 AM
Well good to hear you're doing all research and want to be responsible with your fish selection. That's a big plus. To answer some questions no that's not overstocked. It's quite a good fish selection. In order to keep corals there's some water conditions you're going to want to keep an eye on. Alk,calcium,PH,magnesium and to a lesser extent phosphates and nitrates. I don't really test for the last two because you can generally tell by looking at your tank through any algae growths or water clarity. As far as coral selection with a two bulb T5 you should be okay with soft corals and LPS. No SPS. As far as anemones once you're comfortable keeping all your levels in line you can try one. They're not too hard require maybe weekly feedings and I would think about some kind of light supplementation because they do like high lighting. Good luck and looking forward to pictures! :dance:

alyssa46
12/10/2013, 10:29 PM
I use oceans blend part 1 and part 2 for my corals and they are growing like crazy...I had zero luck with a long tentacle although I only have biocube stock lights but it died after 2 months good luck with your tank and make sure to do your research about the anemones...New set ups aren't very stable for them.

Mr.SVT
12/11/2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the advise. So what would you do if your magnesium is high? or calcium is low? How do you make sure all water parameters stay in check? I know on freshwater tanks the only thing I do to fix water parameters is water changes. Is this the same for a reef tank?

alyssa46
12/11/2013, 08:12 PM
I assume u have a test kit? Not sure about magnesium honestly but if your calcium is low it's really bad for the corals and any snails..corals need the calcium to grow so u should check your levels often cause if they are too low or high both can be bad. I like the blends and if your levels are low u need to gradually adjust the dosage and keep checking the levels. I'm no expert but I've had problems with high calcium so I gradually lower the dose and check it. It all depends on your coral load and tank size :-)