PDA

View Full Version : Drilling the JBJ 30 Gallon Rimless (RL Series)

tannersmith2000
12/09/2013, 05:35 PM
Hello

http://www.aquacave.com/JBJ-30-Gallon-Nano-Cube-RL-Series-P4243.aspx?gclid=CPerp8XQobsCFSbNOgodqFEAQQ

I just bought this tank. I want to place all my equipment in a sump and not in the chambers.

I want to tie this tank in with a 20 gallon sump. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or even feasible?

Thanks for the feedback.

Raptor72
12/11/2013, 03:27 AM
I have the same tank but didn't drill mine. I know it's doable because I've seen it on other threads. I've seen it done with the back panel left in place and someone who removed it for more area for the rockwork.

Raptor72
12/11/2013, 03:30 AM
If I could do it again, I'd go with a bigger stand so that I could do a sump and drill mine. Take your time and plan it out well.

tannersmith2000
12/11/2013, 07:54 AM
If I could do it again, I'd go with a bigger stand so that I could do a sump and drill mine. Take your time and plan it out well.

Exactly. Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I want to do. I want to do it right. I don't wanna be impatient and get it started and then kick myself bec I wanted to do something different.

I really want to plumb this tank to a 10-15g sump. I want all my equipment placed in the sump. Having everything sticking in the back chambers is not ideal for me.

I want this to be an SPS dominated nano reef.

Did you get the stand that JBJ makes specifically for this tank?

tannersmith2000
12/11/2013, 07:55 AM
Raptor

Can you point me in the direction of the threads where they are talking about drilling this specific tank?

Thanks

Raptor72
12/11/2013, 08:01 AM
I have the stock stand only because I got it at a very good price. Originally, I was looking at a stockier taller tank that I wish I had gone with.

As far as the posts, I did searches for "JBJ 30 RL" and that's how I found it. It was either here or on R2R.

tannersmith2000
12/11/2013, 09:28 AM
I have the stock stand only because I got it at a very good price. Originally, I was looking at a stockier taller tank that I wish I had gone with.

As far as the posts, I did searches for "JBJ 30 RL" and that's how I found it. It was either here or on clay-boa.

Is the stock stand of any quality? I am guessing no.

Raptor72
12/11/2013, 10:04 AM
I think it's pretty well built. The back panel is about 3/4 of an inch thick.There's just not enough room to put the good size sump. If you wanted to do a sump of 20 actual water gallons, you would need to put in a 30 to allow for extra room for when you turn off the pumps.

tannersmith2000
12/11/2013, 10:56 AM
I am gonna look into a different stand. I may even build one for that matter. Heck I can build one easy and customize it how I want.

Raptor72
12/11/2013, 11:50 AM
If you have good building skills, I would go that route. One of the things I would recommend would be to make it a little taller than the stock stand because I find it annoying to crouch down to look at my tank. This also helps if you are going to put a screen as a cover since you won't be looking down on the screen.

As far as equipment, I'm not sure what a good in sump skimmer for this size would be. As far as a hang on skimmer I greatly recommend the Aquamaxx HOB. This thing is awesome and is always getting great reviews. Of course, part of the reason for a sump is to hide the equipment.

tannersmith2000
12/11/2013, 12:18 PM
If you have good building skills, I would go that route. One of the things I would recommend would be to make it a little taller than the stock stand because I find it annoying to crouch down to look at my tank. This also helps if you are going to put a screen as a cover since you won't be looking down on the screen.

As far as equipment, I'm not sure what a good in sump skimmer for this size would be. As far as a hang on skimmer I greatly recommend the Aquamaxx HOB. This thing is awesome and is always getting great reviews. Of course, part of the reason for a sump is to hide the equipment.

Do you have a build thread? I would like to see your tank

Raptor72
12/11/2013, 02:09 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2302303

Roger30
12/11/2013, 04:17 PM
I have the same tank and was thinking of putting a 10 gallon sump; mainly for a refugium. I was planning on using a hang on drain and return. My stand is also standard but it's taller; a 20 gallon will take most of your room below. If you can build it I would go that route. Please post pix of your progress, very interested. How big of a return pump are you planning to use? That is my biggest issue.

tannersmith2000
12/11/2013, 06:32 PM
I have the same tank and was thinking of putting a 10 gallon sump; mainly for a refugium. I was planning on using a hang on drain and return. My stand is also standard but it's taller; a 20 gallon will take most of your room below. If you can build it I would go that route. Please post pix of your progress, very interested. How big of a return pump are you planning to use? That is my biggest issue.

Hey

As for a return pump I am not sure. I am getting my tank tomorrow. I will start the planning process tomorrow. I want to do this tank right without shortcuts. I want it to be stunning and a work of SPS art in a year's time. That's my vision.

Texan78
12/11/2013, 09:52 PM
Where were you thinking of drilling it?

If you could find a stand that works drilling the bottom in the back sump chambers would be a nice touch and keep it clean and the back free. You could get some acrylic and close off the stock sump so you have closed off chambers. Would be converted like a normal overflow with a stand pipe. Do the same for the return as well.

Boston21
12/11/2013, 11:37 PM
Dunno if you will have a work of art in a year but you might have something like that in a few. I like the look of these tanks though, they are great.

tannersmith2000
12/12/2013, 04:12 AM
Where were you thinking of drilling it?

If you could find a stand that works drilling the bottom in the back sump chambers would be a nice touch and keep it clean and the back free. You could get some acrylic and close off the stock sump so you have closed off chambers. Would be converted like a normal overflow with a stand pipe. Do the same for the return as well.

Good point! I was thinking the same thing. I get my tank today. I am gonna do some inspecting and figure out exactly how I wanna do it. I just don't wanna make a mistake that could jeopardize the integrity of the tank itself.

Texan78
12/12/2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah call them and find out if the bottom uses tempered glass. Most tanks use tempered glass on the bottom only. I see they use Tempered Glass Lid & Clips so they may use it for the bottom too. That would be the only thing really to worry about. If it is tempered and you try to drill it, it will shatter. So just make sure. Otherwise I think it would work and look great otherwise. Should be a fun project.

Raptor72
12/12/2013, 06:52 AM
The thread that I was referring to had the guy drilling the bottom. But it wouldn't hurt to double check.

tannersmith2000
12/13/2013, 06:33 AM
Yeah call them and find out if the bottom uses tempered glass. Most tanks use tempered glass on the bottom only. I see they use Tempered Glass Lid & Clips so they may use it for the bottom too. That would be the only thing really to worry about. If it is tempered and you try to drill it, it will shatter. So just make sure. Otherwise I think it would work and look great otherwise. Should be a fun project.

I sent them an email. I awaiting a reply.

Thanks for the heads up

tannersmith2000
12/13/2013, 06:33 AM
The thread that I was referring to had the guy drilling the bottom. But it wouldn't hurt to double check.

Which thread did you refer me to with the guy drilling his tank?

Raptor72
12/13/2013, 10:42 AM
None specifically. I meant that the thread that I read about someone drilling his JBJ 30 RL had him drilling it from the bottom. I do remember him stating that you had to be precise on your placement of the bulkheads because there wasn't very much room to play between the two panes of glass. Another thread had the guy removing the rest of the interior glass work for more room.