PDA

View Full Version : Another skimmer gone wild

Jackg962
12/09/2013, 08:53 PM
I have a reef octopus SSS1000 on my 93 cube. It has been doing a perfect job getting a nice dry skimmate for several weeks. I went on a short cruise and while gone the skimmer has gone wild. I have opened the level control valve all the way open and it still foams enough to overflow my cup again. any suggestion what to do or what has happened. any suggestions what might have caused this or what i can do. Normally opening the valve drops the skimmiming level. but not this time
thx

BlindZide
12/09/2013, 08:55 PM
Are/have you dosed anything before or after the cruise?

Jackg962
12/09/2013, 09:22 PM
Just my usual 30 ML of A and B before i left. I am gonna leave it off overnight and take it out and clean tomorrow, look for some pluggage maybe

eacosta
12/09/2013, 10:21 PM
Might be too deep in water. Try raising it a little and it should fix it. I made a little shelf with egg crate and then had to put "layers" of egg crate until I got it just right. Probably just broke in.

JAnwyl
12/10/2013, 02:32 AM
Is there a reason for it to skim more (dead animal leading to rise in skimming) or has it started pulling less nasty stuff and more water/y stuff into cup?

Watery I would say maybe its lowered/needs to be reconfigured
More nasty stuff and maybe there is a hidden animal that is dieing or dead.

Test the water if pulling more nasty stuff than usual or reconfigure if stuff has gotten clearer or waterier than usual.

BlindZide
12/10/2013, 06:30 AM
If the skimmer was running good for several weeks and then it went haywire I would say it would be hard to say its the depth of water. Although it could be I would doubt it.

dkeller_nc
12/10/2013, 08:06 AM
One thing you'll want to check for is plugging of the air venture right at the entrance to the pump's intake. Insufficient air draw will overflow any skimmer, instantly. It's pretty easy to test - just plug the airline with your finger and see what happens.

This problem can be infuriating to diagnose; the usual response of unplugging the skimmer can actually fix the problem, as the venture orifice and air tube fills with water and some of the deposit dissolves.

Jackg962
12/10/2013, 10:42 AM
I left it off for the night, when i get home today I will pull it out and give it a good cleaning. It was set to get good thick skimate and has worked that way for 2 months. Now, even with valve wide open, it bubbles clean bubles, up to and overflowing cup

MondoBongo
12/10/2013, 11:32 AM
i've had issues with mine overflowing when calcium deposits start blocking the air in take line.

sometimes the rubber hose that runs from the intake silencer to the collar around pump wheel will start blocking up, almost like a clogged artery. sometimes the collar itself gets blocked as well, leading to inconsistent skimming and overflow.

Jackg962
12/10/2013, 09:29 PM
thanks for all you answers during my evening of panic. it turns out bubble pump on bottom of skimmer had worked its way lose a little.it was telling it was time to clean the skimmer anyway