PDA

View Full Version : Filtration piping questions / aquascaping during operation

ColtonMeng
12/10/2013, 11:44 AM
Hey guys!

I've got some projects planned for this weekend and could use your feedback on how to best go about getting them done. I've included a small info-graphic below of my current setup, and I'd like your feedback on how to best go about getting it correct.

The problem:

I'm currently only getting my left overflow to drain the tank. I'm running a 220 gallon tank / 50 gallon sump, with a submersible 900 gallon / hr. pump moving it back to the tank. (additionally I have a closed loop on external pump, but that doesn't relate to this thread)

My question- do the overflow drains need to be exactly the same level, or does the overflow that is closer to the sump intake need to be higher for both overflows to be working?

Also, if I bump up the flow through the sump I seemingly get clogs in my micron filter socks- the sump runs three filter socks, then a sponge filter, then skimmer / pump up.

http://s14.postimg.org/7otvbve5d/tank_setup.jpg
~~~~~

Separate question:

Is tearing down / re-aquascaping a tank with it in operation potentially detrimental to livestock? I do run a fairly large cleanup crew and no DSB (<1''-1'') but I wanted to make sure, as I'm fairly certain if I posted up a picture right now I'd be flamed for how artistically inept I am. :lolspin:

Any feedback on these issues is appreciated.

Thanks,

Colton