PDA

View Full Version : Day 17 Into Cycle

idisc
12/10/2013, 11:35 PM
Well it has been 17 days my tank has been cycling for. As the tank has been cycling I have been adding new equipment and such. Here is my readings as of yesterday. Seems like my NitrItes are not coming down for whatever reason.

Readings have been like this for about 3 Days - Nitrites have been 1+ for around 6 days

Day 17: 12/10: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1+, Nitrate - 20 - Salinity 1.026

Today I moved the Aquaclear 110 down and hooked it onto the sump over the Fuge area - This has foam and carbon in it. (Eventually I will hang media bags in this of Carb and GFO) - If you have any ideas let me know.

I added a Remora C Pro Skimmer today and another 2 lbs of Live Rock (Multiple small pieces - will probably put these pieces into the Aqua clear 110 at the bottom) - Let me know if this is a good idea. - I have 120 lbs and dry rock in my tank

Still not sure what to do with the fuge area of my sump - Fill it with Dry Rock (I have about 30 extra pounds laying around) or add sand to it? Miracle Mud? Cheoto?

I am really hoping my NitrItes will start going down. Also this live rock I got today from my LFS has these little "shell" looking things on it..with white body's under them.. and I noticed these super small almost looked like miniature shrimp in and out of the rock..like less than .25" - idk what that is...I saw one getting tossed around the tank, idk if it died..but maybe because the nitrites it did...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions are all welcomed. Thank you

Boston21
12/11/2013, 12:32 AM
The nitritifiying bacteria can take a while sometimes. I think my nitrite portion of my cycle lasted for close to 2 weeks.

Edit: Your on the right track, just wait it out.

President Evil
12/11/2013, 12:47 AM
Don't rush the cycle, just let it happen.. mine took 3 weeks, but I didn't start to add anything til after the 4th week.
I put rock rubble, and cheato in the refugium area. Couldn't be happier with the results.. Don't forget the wallmart light fixture and 6500k bulb for the cheato.

Boston21
12/11/2013, 12:55 AM
Don't rush the cycle, just let it happen.. mine took 3 weeks, but I didn't start to add anything til after the 4th week.
I put rock rubble, and cheato in the refugium area. Couldn't be happier with the results.. Don't forget the wallmart light fixture and 6500k bulb for the cheato.

I wouldn't add chaeto until you have a noticeable nitrate issue as sometimes it wont grow in too clean of water. I had chaeto die back when I first started my tank because Nutrient levels were so low.

idisc
12/11/2013, 12:56 AM
Right now I just have 2x stick on dome lights that are stuck to the bottom of my tank, but yes which light did you buy? And any 6500k? If you could post a link that would be great :)

idisc
12/11/2013, 12:57 AM
Well it's very cheap at my LFS so I don't mind giving it a try now.

Boston21
12/11/2013, 01:09 AM
Yeah, but if it starts dieing, it will leach whatever back into the tank, so keep an eye on it..

idisc
12/11/2013, 01:33 AM
Ah, good call - Never really thought about that. I guess the last thing I actually need for this setup is a RO / DI unit - Don't yell at me ahha - been using Distilled for topping off.

My KH is just a crazy number like 15 - Hoping once I get some things in this tank and get my RO / DI it will jump down. My Calc is always around 380...maybe I should do some manual dosing, but won't really know unit I get a RO / DI.

Do you guys think it would be fine to toss in some dry rock right now into the sump..or let in leach out into another tank for a few weeks? Or just wait until my tank cycles and then put it in?

I am going to be setting up a 29g Quarn tank..full time tank I think or possible just a spare 10g I have. Has anyone used Mangrove trees? Thoughts?

Boston21
12/11/2013, 07:29 AM
Iv heard mangroves are hard to keep, but I can bet your Alk issue is because of tap water, once you get a RODI I think that will clear up.

lnevo
12/11/2013, 07:35 AM
He claimed nitrates were at 20...thats plenty of dirty in order to grow chaeto. What test kit are you using for alk, my guess is you might be doing it wrong, thats really quite high...RC salt should have around 10dkh. What salt are you using and I think you said salinity was 1.026. Are you using a refractometer or hydrometer?

thegrun
12/11/2013, 08:47 AM
Whatever you decide to add to the sump (rock, mud, sand) I would do it soon, as it has the potential to start a new cycle which will delay your ability to add livestock. I would go for the addition of dry rock, leaving space to add chaeto after the tank cycles.

idisc
12/11/2013, 02:52 PM
I am currently using "Petco" Salt as it was cheap at the time. I am using a Hydrometer *2 of them) - I need a refractometer

My test kit is the API one - I got it used from someone, but they never used it, but said it could be a few years old.

Gonna add the dry rock to the sump today - my skimmer has been pulling some stuff, kinda clear liquid, but colored..just a tad - Im guessing its not dark bc I don't have anything really in tank?

Would me using tap water and Seachem prime make the nitrates stay down and not come up - just wondering how to get over the NitrIte hurdle..seems like it's taken awhile is all.

mpeaden2
12/11/2013, 03:07 PM
cheato has always done a great job for me at keeping display clean. I personal think a full blown fuge is a waste unless it's like half the size of your display. Granted you have sand and rock in your display.

thegrun
12/11/2013, 03:12 PM
You really want to stay away from tap water. The prime will neutralize the chlorine in the water but does not help the nitrates, phosphates and heavy metals commonly found in tap water. It is difficult to say for sure if your old test kits will work or not. If I remember correctly API puts batch lots on their test kits. You may be able to go to their website and get accurate expiration dates for the tests from them. Light skimate is normal at this stage of a tank without much of a bio-load.

idisc
12/11/2013, 03:22 PM
Yes they have Batch lots on them - thank you for the idea -Ya I been trying to get a RO / DI unit for awhile.

idisc
12/11/2013, 03:35 PM
Okay - They were all made in 01/08 - So yes they are at there max of 5 years old..So much for getting free test kits :)

Looks like I will be ordering and two new kits, salt and reef...wish they just sold one kit for both.

idisc
12/11/2013, 08:41 PM
Day 18: 12/11: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1, Nitrate - 20-40 - Salinity 1.025/26 - PH 8.2

BenBradford
12/12/2013, 04:14 PM
don't rush the cycle...have you added a fish? throw something hardy in there that you can catch later if it doesn't fit the long term plan. I always use chromis because they are social and non aggressive and hardy as hell. Add the fish and let things go for a couple of months. Wait out the algae blooms and get into a good rhythm of maintenance before spending money on coral and fish...

idisc
12/12/2013, 08:17 PM
Day 19: 12/12: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1, Nitrate - 20-40 - Salinity 1.025/26 - PH 8.2

I do have 2x Clowns in there - been in since the 9th day of the cycle - they are doing just fine - eat well - very active..just waiting for these nitrItes to go down.

idisc
12/13/2013, 08:58 PM
Day 20: 12/13: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1, Nitrate - 20-40 - Salinity 1.025/26 - PH 8.2

This will be day 7 since the NitrIte has peaked. Still baffled as it seems to not be coming down.

KeepNitReel
12/13/2013, 09:19 PM
Day 20: 12/13: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1, Nitrate - 20-40 - Salinity 1.025/26 - PH 8.2

This will be day 7 since the NitrIte has peaked. Still baffled as it seems to not be coming down.

Why are you baffled? Nitrite is the longest part to go away, 7 days is not long at all especially since you have mostly dry rock. One morning you will wake up to zero nitrite without any warning. That's how quick it drops when it's ready to do so.

KeepNitReel
12/13/2013, 09:23 PM
don't rush the cycle...have you added a fish? throw something hardy in there that you can catch later if it doesn't fit the long term plan. I always use chromis because they are social and non aggressive and hardy as hell. Add the fish and let things go for a couple of months. Wait out the algae blooms and get into a good rhythm of maintenance before spending money on coral and fish...

Don't listen to this bad advice.
The last thing you want to do is add an un quarantined fish to an UN cycled tank. The fish stresses out and you will have ich in the tank before you even started.

cjcolvin
12/14/2013, 10:28 PM
Don't listen to this bad advice.
The last thing you want to do is add an un quarantined fish to an UN cycled tank. The fish stresses out and you will have ich in the tank before you even started.

Totally agree with this. Dont rush things if you do all that youll end up doing to chasing your tail trying to fix problems that would not be happing if youd only bide your time and let nature take its course.

idisc
12/14/2013, 10:30 PM
Day 21: 12/13: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1, Nitrate - 20-40 - Salinity 1.025/26 - PH 8.2

idisc
12/15/2013, 10:15 PM
Well today I woke up and still have Nitrite in my tank. Seems like all the Diatoms is pretty much gone now though. - I added 2.5 more pounds of Live Rock to the tank, which is a total of around 10lbs Live Rock - compared to the 120lbs of dry rock in there.

I was wondering if I was to add the Live Rock to the entry point of my sump (no filter bag) and fill it so the water flows right into the live rock if it would be a good idea. Others have suggested bio balls and such, but I have so much rock - I figured it would be a good idea. And with me having this 10 lbs of small pieces I thought maybe it would help seed the other rock faster?

Day 22: 12/15: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 1, Nitrate - 20-40 - Salinity 1.025/26 - PH 8.2

I am also still wondering what to do with the 2nd chamber of the sump - Currently have nothing in it. I have a Aqua clear 110 HoB that is flowing into this 2nd chamber that just has some carbon and a foam pad in it. The plan is to run my GFO and Carbon in hanging media bags through the aqua clear 110 - lots of flow.

Should I put like a 1" sand bed in the refuge or miracle mud? Add Live Rock? Cheoto?

I also have my JBJ Auto Top Off coming in on Tuesday - This will be nice to not have to add water every 2 days.

Thoughts? Concerns?

whosurcaddie
12/15/2013, 10:41 PM
Nitrite is not toxic in a marine environment. It would take concentrations of 200ppm to kill marine organisms which you would never see in a home aquarium.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.htm

idisc
12/16/2013, 04:55 PM
Well I think my Nitrite has started to drop...reading looks to be .50 today...hopefully by tomorrow it will be 0.