PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the hobby

malupoo
12/11/2013, 08:30 AM
Hi reefcentral,

My Name is Daniel, and I have just recently made my return into the hobby again now I have permanent residence. I have had plenty of fowlr type tank experience in the past keeping mostly predatory species like eels, lionfish and anglers.

I'm still in the planning phase and so wanted to pass a couple of ideas past the community here.

My first option- have a tank built for me. 65x50x45cm ( approx 38 gallons)
And then use 1-2 power heads and a hang on back skimmer.
* this option I like as I can pick and choose my equipment and I have always liked the rimless kind of look.

Option 2-
Pre built all in one aquarium. I can't remember the size but pretty sure it's about 28 gallons. Has all the usual, lighting, behind the tank filter and a small built in skimmer.

* seems like the easy option, it's on special so isn't that expensive. Possible cons of costing more in the long run replacing inferior equipment??

I was initially against the pre built idea but seems a few forums are praising such things now? My how things change in 5 years.

My ideas for stocking the tank is mostly just either a pair of perc or occ clowns. And maybe a goby.

So any help with this would be appreciated. Or even tell me that it won't work and I should just man up and get a sump.

IanWR
12/11/2013, 08:39 AM
A possible third option would be to have an all in one style tank made for you. That way you can make the skimmer chamber as big or small as you like, put your return(s) where you want, have the tank the dimension you want, etc. I've seen some really clean looking setups done this way.

- Ian

fpv930
12/11/2013, 07:33 PM
Welcome Daniel! Once you have the reefing bug it never leaves. lol.

I never liked equipment hanging off my tank. Especially a rimless. I have a 36g bow front right now and dislike it very much with the skimmer popping up from the back of the tank.

Either option will work. The AIO systems have come a long way. There are several out there varying in pricing. The Red Sea Max has excellent reviews for a "plug & play" system.

http://www.redseafish.com/Home.html

Depending on you budget I think I would go with an AIO for now. You know that in about 1 year or so you will be wanting to upgrade. LOl

malupoo
12/11/2013, 09:25 PM
Ok that's good to hear! Only thing that bugs me is possible noise. The tank will be in a bedroom and I recall the drain noise all too clearly. Do you find these aio systems noisy at all?

Thanks again

malupoo
12/12/2013, 06:34 AM
Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone have any experience with this tank or heard anything about them?

http://m.majesticaquariums.com.au/ProductDes.aspx?MyTitleId1=4216
It seems like a pretty good deal to me :S

fpv930
12/12/2013, 12:08 PM
The overflows are much different since you have been gone. If you get an AIO or a "drilled" reef ready tank they are much quieter. I don't have an AIO so I can't comment at this point.

I have seen the bio cubes running and they seem very quiet.

Try searching the RC forms and ask inquire with someone who has one. Also, Check out your LFS and see if they have one set up to look at.

BenBradford
12/12/2013, 03:29 PM
I am also just recently back in the hobby. I picked a biocube and am happy with it. The best features in my opinion are the curved glass edges and the nice stand that came with it.

The least attractive feature is that it is not drilled and cant be drilled in the future. I will eventually have to change the tank to a drilled one with a sump to get to where I want.

I am buying everything now that will fit future tank design so that nothing is wasted.