PDA

View Full Version : new 75gal build need sump advice plzzz

antimatt3r
12/11/2013, 07:19 PM
Hello world I currently have a 55g reef and have recently moved and am building a new 75 gallon tank. This is the first tank I have built myself as the first one I bought as a package.

So far I have purchased a 75 gallon tank with stand and full canopy
an Eheim 1260 return, Reef Octopus 150 skimmer and a generic 18w UV sterilizer. I plan on also adding some kind of biological or mechanical filtration most likley a biopellet reactor.

Everything is on its way from eBay but I have no sump to put all this equipment in. I have been looking at premade models like the eshopps brand but they are like $250, I have a decent amount of room in the bottom of my stand and the general idea for a sump is bigger is better right????

What I want to accomplish with my sump is to house a filter sock, my heater, return pump, skimmer, uv sterilizer and biopellet reactor (or another filter system you might higher recommend?) and some live rock if possible to have a fuge, the thing is I have no experience with handling acrylics to build my own, I am willing to learn though. And I also dont know what order to put this equipment in. SO what would you do? Buy a premade, build your own? Thanks for your input!

TommyP
12/11/2013, 07:26 PM
Get a 40 breeder if it fits under your stand. I have a 20 long. I fit the same skimmer and a mj pump for my phosban 150 in the first chamber. 2nd chamber lR and chaeto, 3rd chamber return. a 40 will give you more room but a 20 long is great

antimatt3r
12/11/2013, 07:29 PM
thanks tommy, is it very hard to make the baffles yourself? I'd love to custom design my own sump with a fuge section as well but have zero experience in the design of sumps

raybyrne67
12/12/2013, 07:33 AM
I made the baffles for my 20L sump from .25 plexiglass purchased from Lowes. They also cut it for me. It cost 20$ for the plexiglass and 10$ for the aquarium sealant.

Mark9
12/12/2013, 07:52 AM
I got my glass baffles from lowes.
I gave them the measurements, they cut the glass, cost $12 for 3 pieces of cut glass.
Silicone was cheap, just don't get the one with a mold inhibitor.

thegrun
12/12/2013, 08:07 AM
If you are handy with woodworking acrylic would be easy for you to work with. If your sump is glass have the glass cut at a glass shop.