PDA

View Full Version : Size and Filtration

Artur 1972
12/11/2013, 07:52 PM
I want to set up QT/ Hospital Tank. I will quarantine my new livestock and also might keep some fishes for a longer time < tank will be in Family Room> My 2 questions are. 1. I really like 40 Breeder Tank. Do you think it is good enough or should I set 4' tank like 55? I want my fishes to be comfortable but if 40 is enough I will go with that one. 2. Common HOB filter will be good enough or should I buy Canister or something else? Please let me know. Thanks for all your help.

Marineco413
12/11/2013, 10:25 PM
Personally, my hospital/qt tank is an empty 10 gallon. My bio portion of my filter stays in my sump of display tank until needed. Then the qt tank gets filled, and I put the bio filter along with sponge into an hob filter.

If you are looking at that size, and location, that sounds more like a display tank to me.

If you are set on using it though, get a hob or canister appropriate to the size tank you buy, and you will need to cycle it, and keep your bacteria fed. During periods with no bio load in tank, your bacteria will die otherwise.

Timber77
12/13/2013, 07:13 PM
i would get an in the tank or rail mounted skimmer like a tunze classic series.
any hang on back skimmer has the option to leak , canisters are only good if you are diligent about maintaince. hang on back would probably be fine as well, but not hang on back skimmer.