PDA

View Full Version : Is LFS giving me a good deal or not?

dsustko
12/11/2013, 07:58 PM
I went to the LFS and they had a used 90g tank for sale. It seemed in a decent condition and he offered to put together a "deal" package for me. Only tank, stand, canopy and sump are used. Since all of you know more about the gear, wanted to hear your opinion if the package below is a decent deal or is he trying to make some money off of me?

"Oceanic 90 gallon tank with 34 gallon refugium style sump, magdrive 9.5 return pump, plumbing manifold, hoses, return and drain are both adjustable.

New 2x wp-25, 250 watt heater, thermometer, magfloat algae scraper, new cone skimmer, new 4 strip t5 HO with timers and LED moon lights with 2x 10 watt multichip LED blue lights with Meanwell drivers mounted in canopy. 90lbs bulk sand, 110 gallons seasoned saltwater, and 90lbs mixed live rock Fiji, Pukani, and Tongan branch.

All this would be $1800.00.
Tank and equipment package is $1150.00"

Thank you in advance!

lars65inc
12/11/2013, 08:06 PM
It's fair. Depending on the skimmer and light setup. Ideally a 6 bulb T5 fixture would be a better choice for a 90, but maybe the multichips will make up for it?...

What do you plan to keep? What are the skimmer and light specs?

Eric

syrinx
12/11/2013, 08:08 PM
I do not think it is a bad deal. People can say they would do this or that differently, and that would be opinion- but the overall price is not bad. I would sell a used setup in my shop for about half of new. I would also allow full setup build with a 10% discount for all new items added to old tank. Could you get more for less? perhaps- but the legwork and ordering would be greater, and you would not have a brick and mortar store to visit if you have problems. Also remember your location- 90lbs of live rock is worth a lot more in OK than on the coast or major cities. Not a screamer of a deal- but your not getting hosed.

billdogg
12/11/2013, 08:09 PM
Around here you can pick up the tank, stand, sump on CL for about $350 - $500. IMHO it seems a bit steep for the rest of the stuff. And fwiw- "seasoned" water = overpriced used water. Base rock can be had for good prices online. Check out www.bulkreefsupply.com and other vendors to get an idea. Ditto with the lights. Moonlights are not needed at all unless you want to look at your tank in dim blue light. Better nighttime viewing can be had with red cellophane over a flashlight. Shop around some. I really think you can do better.

Jm.02

dsustko
12/11/2013, 08:16 PM
What do you plan to keep? What are the skimmer and light specs?

Eric

On his website it actually doesn't have a name of it, just the description:
Cone Protein Skimmer
Hand made in USA from cast acrylic. Uses 28 watts of power with needle wheel. Good for tanks up to 135 gallons
Brand new in box. Small footprint for easy install. Drain line for cup.
$175.00

I would like to have some variety of colorful fish including a tang, perhaps a starfish, and mix of easy to keep colorful soft & hard corals. Would love to pair anemone with clowns etc.

JAnwyl
12/11/2013, 08:58 PM
Check out what you can get on Craigslist. I bought my last tank on Craigslist and have been casually checking for another on Craigslist.

garydan
12/12/2013, 12:00 AM
I have an oceanic 90, its starphire glass. If that one is too, that'd make it worth a bit more than your typical 90 off Craigslist. I picked up my oceanic 90 starphire for 350 for the tank, new. It was on clearance because they stopped making them. What kind of wood? An oak stand is going to be worth a lot less than cherry, for example. It doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. If the tank isn't starphire, and its an oak stand, you can probably do better on Craigslist, so its really a question of what the time to deal with Craigslist is worth to you. Starphire tanks and non oak stands are rare on Craigslist (around here), you probably won't easily find something comparable (if either of those features matter to you.)

Boston21
12/12/2013, 12:12 AM
I'd say its a little pricey but thats my opinion. Is the light a DIY LED? If you find out what type of skimmer it is report back, might be the deal breaker xD.

Chevrefils
12/12/2013, 01:38 AM
Let's make this clear. Its a good price for a store.
Ya sure you could find better used but I've invested more in my 75 and I don't even have a sump. I'd be interested in the skimmer. If its not up to par you could try to haggle or negotiate for a better quality one. You're not being taken advantage of though.

Edit: is it everything for $1150 or is that for just tank and equipment? If the asking price is $1800 I wouldn't bother. You could get a 6 footer for that price with even corals all in.

davidcoral
12/12/2013, 05:37 AM
I would look at craigslist. Lately I've been seeing entire running systems for under 1000k. They already have the fish and coral stock and many include RO systems too.

wickerj
12/12/2013, 10:25 AM
How much for just the tank and sump? I'd probably buy my equipment online, new.
It seems like an ok deal for a store, but you can do better if you're willing to put in a little time and leg work.

Recliner
12/12/2013, 10:34 AM
It's a great deal from a store. For $1800 on Craigslist though, you could find a similar set up that comes full of coral and fish. It might take a couple months depending on your luck and location.

peacetypes6
12/12/2013, 11:25 AM
as others stated its a good deal from retail store, with that said id offer 1000. this will allow you to have warranty on the new components, or you could get something like off CL for 500 or less with livestock included most likely

Dashylock
12/12/2013, 11:59 AM
You may be able to find a better deal on CL for a complete setup BUT you must also consider the transport cost of the setup. Do you have the capability to move a complete 90gal system with all its live rock and inhabitants? If not, you may have to rely on your local club to help you with the tank transfer or an experienced pro that does regular tank setups to help you move. Expect to pay anywhere from $50-$100 an hour.

usmc121581
12/12/2013, 12:08 PM
I bought a whole system on GL for $150 it was only a 75 but, I was able to recoup my 150 already selling the rock and my 55 inwhich it replaced. I say look on GL first, plus if that tank is used he probaly paid next to nothing for it.

tthnow
12/12/2013, 12:40 PM
Sharks do exist outside the tank! shop around bro.

BenBradford
12/12/2013, 03:15 PM
ditto on finding a better deal on craigslist. However, there is something to be said for the convenience on getting something clean, nearby, and working. The older I get, the less that I care about finding something for nothing.

aandfsoccr04
12/12/2013, 03:27 PM
I personally wouldn't purchase from my local fish store unless it was last resort and there was no other way to get a tank locally. I'd check craigslist and the local reef club in your area. You may have to wait a few weeks or month but a deal will pop up. I picked up a 120 gallon full setup with liverock fish and coral, 2x250w metal halide lighting, canopy, stand, tank and sump with protein skimmer ---> turn key system for $600.

Anotherwords, I wouldn't pay that price from your local fish store if I were you.

living_waters
12/14/2013, 03:18 AM
my 2 cents... if your going used-CRAIGSLIST- in my area theres a couple 90g going for around 500 fully loaded with live stock

Arnel0387
12/14/2013, 10:48 AM
Too much.. That skimmer is probably good for only a 40breeder. And you'll end up upgrading your lights as well.. Please be patient. :)

NHATRANG
12/14/2013, 12:17 PM
If it's a $500 skimmer, 6 T5 bulb fixture and bigger sump, then I would say go for it. Like others have said, if I start over again, CL or buy from local reefers who want to get out.

kikoreefer
12/14/2013, 02:49 PM
It's not a bad deal per say, but you can do better with a little more effort on craigslist. I guess it more depends on you. Will you regret the purchase or not because you have to live with it. Hopefully you'll be happy any route you take ;)

tthnow
12/14/2013, 03:00 PM
Why don't you just start out slow bro? don't rush. Buy the best stuffs slowly. Recycle while you wait for more funds!

Sk8r
12/14/2013, 03:41 PM
An Oceanic may well be Starphire glass, which is clearer and also (my Oceanic) is quite thick. You can get 90s that have scarily thin glass, and you can pay a lot more for one with 5/8ths inch thick glass....Some of those tanks cost a couple of thousand new, in that size. Ask about the glass and be sure you're comparing apples to apples when you shop.

BlindZide
12/14/2013, 05:20 PM
If it were me I would see if you can wiggle it down some. Dump the used water. Half the live rock and sub base rock in. If you can do that and drop the price a little bit then I would go for it. Around my way, a used 90g setup is $1100 with just a Tank, Stand, Canopy, Lights, and Sump. All pumps, skimmer, rock, sand etc need to be purchased after. I would end up paying close to $2k just to get it running.

But then again thats just me. The security blanket of knowing I can go to my LFS if something doesn't work rather than a CL seller saying shove it is good enough for me. This meaning that if the tank or sump leaks. Or the skimmer never works or something. Buying used you always need to be careful.

RAJOD
12/18/2013, 09:04 PM
Yea i agree with garydan.

I would not bother with a glass tank unless it used saphire glass or better yet acrylic.

Could be a particle board canopy with a puny skimmer. Not enough info.

ayionna06
12/19/2013, 05:38 PM
IMHO I think it is overpriced. As many have said before me you can find a better deal on craiglist or even a local reef club in your area. Here in New york they are selling whole set ups like the one you suggested for half the price your saying. But it also depends on where you live. Here in the big city that wouldn't fly but elsewhere you may have no other choice. good luck with your endeavor either way