PDA

View Full Version : question bubble algae

tmscube
12/11/2013, 08:33 PM
what else will kill green bubble algae .. i noticed some on my rocks .. want to avoid em crabs .. last time i had em crabs they went after my high end zoas and duncans .. anything else that will wipe them out .. n there is corals on my rocks ..

Sugar Magnolia
12/11/2013, 08:37 PM
Inject the bubble algae with hydrogen peroxide. 100% kill rate.

cloak
12/11/2013, 08:41 PM
Or just pull them from the rocks week after week right before a water change. Don't forget, you can remove them much faster then they can reappear. Stay ahead of them. GL.

tmscube
12/11/2013, 08:44 PM
yea i just dont want them popping and spreading like wildfire .. with the injections do i have to pull the rock out of the water ??

cloak
12/11/2013, 08:50 PM
yea i just dont want them popping and spreading like wildfire .. with the injections do i have to pull the rock out of the water ??

Popping them and spreading like wildfire is a myth IMO. Have you ever heard of somebody having success with an emerald crab & valonia? What do you think happens to the bubbles when the crab does eat them? It pops... Bubble algae is not the plague that some people make it out to be IMO. GL.

tmscube
12/11/2013, 08:55 PM
good point cloak didnt think of it that way ..

sneeyatch
12/11/2013, 09:09 PM
Valonia doesn't spread while they're hard and green. When they start getting whiter, they're going sexual and that's when the spores are active. Jus get in there and pull them out.

Buzz1329
12/12/2013, 06:53 PM
Inject the bubble algae with hydrogen peroxide. 100% kill rate.

So what do you use to inject the hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks,

Tenshoa
12/12/2013, 08:09 PM
Some emerald crabs will eat them, but not always since they are opportunistic eaters. However, I found that once I removed them after adding a One Spot Foxface to my tank, they rarely appear. Note that the Foxface won't eat the large bubbles (though mine has tried). Only the tiny ones that begin to appear, usually before you notice them.

Also... +1 on Cloak's post. I know this for a fact from experience.

shaginwagon13
12/13/2013, 12:03 AM
So what do you use to inject the hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks,
i would like to know this as well...

MondoBongo
12/13/2013, 11:41 AM
i would like to know this as well...

i was going to try insulin syringes.

in my state you don't need a prescription to get them. although i believe your local vet can also write scripts for syringes if your state requires any type of proof of need.

Sugar Magnolia
12/13/2013, 11:43 AM
I used an insulin syringe. I injected in the evening and by morning they were all white. Over the next few days my mithrax crabs cleaned up the remains.