PDA

View Full Version : Does your yellow eye kole tang or other tang not wanna eat

Reefer54
12/15/2013, 03:01 PM
for all those who cant get their kole to eat (and perhaps for other picky eating tang owners)......i started putting rocks from my sump that are covered in hair algae into my dt....i knew my kole loves bryopsis and other hair algae so i figured i had to try it....he was paling in color and occasionally swimming off kilter so i knew he was super stressed, not to mention going to the shrimp for a nice clean multiple times a day. all this after a month and a half of happy normal life.

well it worked. over 2 weeks with no water or algae issues, and he is devouring the sump algae, gotten fat again, colored right back to a nice dark purple, and is only going to the shrimp every so often, not harassing it like before. I just switch the rocks out from the sump to the DT every other day or so. This way, the sump stays maintained, the rocks continue to grow algae, and the algae cleans my water.

NO3 - <2
CAL - 430
NH3[4 - .01
MG - 1360
KH - 8
NO2 - about undetectable

so if your tang is not eating Nori, i tried with garlic, cyclops, rotifers, mysis, other planktons and gracilleria.....would not touch the feeding clip. a dirty algae laden rock from the sump....like thanksgiving dinner.

it worked for me, it may work for you....good luck.

and for those of you with a lot more experience with tangs:
my kole does still visit my cleaner shrimp once or twice a day. I do not notice any parasites on the flesh of the fish, and upon watching, it seems the shrimp is often cleaning the anal orifice of my tang.

What do these symptons tell you

thanks

scar79
12/15/2013, 08:06 PM
I've never found kole tangs to be interested in nori from a clip. They always seem much more content scraping rocks, equipment, walls, etc. One more reason to obey the tang police and ensure they have plenty of grazing area, not just swimming space

Vrod2169
12/15/2013, 08:25 PM
I have had mine for 2 months now. He did not eat anything for almost 4weeks and had me going crazy as he was clearly stress and even seem to lose color in his face almost like hlle. Now he goes crazy over mega-marine algae by hikari and mr. G.s refrigerated in a bottle food. I soak the cubes in vitamins hoping that I can get the face to get back it's original look. Good luck.

Marshall O
12/15/2013, 08:39 PM
Mine eats everything, including seaweed off clips. But it took at least a month in QT before it go this way. Before it was definitely on the picky side, but always picking at the rocks and glass all day.

ERIKATHORNBURG
12/15/2013, 08:41 PM
My yellow kole eye eats everything. He is a pig!!

Reefer54
12/15/2013, 10:45 PM
I've never found kole tangs to be interested in nori from a clip. They always seem much more content scraping rocks, equipment, walls, etc. One more reason to obey the tang police and ensure they have plenty of grazing area, not just swimming space

One more reason i dont like police....too quick to point out what is wrong instead of doing something that actually helps.

if per say, the tang police said: your tank must produce between 3 and 10 square or cubic inches of "a, b, or c" algae a day, that would help people. Now that is not to say that i think a yellow tang in a 25g tank is acceptable, but there is a large difference in required volume of water and required volume of food. and frankly, my sump rock bryopsis is working, and my tang is fat.

and clearly Scar69, according to the other posters, nori works....as well as other foods. So if you have some suggestions that have brought you success in the past or ideas for achieving success...i am all ears.

My idea, the tang police should develop a thread that specifies all their rules and the corresponding ideas for solution resulting in longevity and happy life for out tangs.

I appreciate your feedback everyone...i hope i didnt offend you scar, but i dont find remarks like those particularly helpful on threads; on forums where we all come to help each other.

i did not however, get any idea on the possible parasites or disease i believe to be ailing (though it is better than it was) my lovely tang.

Empty Bottles
12/16/2013, 12:02 AM
Whatever works for you. Glad to hear you found something to help you keep your fish.

mayjong
12/16/2013, 10:20 AM
mine eats nori (now)
i had to put it in daily for at least a month until he was no longer scared of the clip.
now he goes for it as soon as i put it in... just use a small piece until he goes for it.
he has always eaten mysis and rods food...