PDA

View Full Version : My 3 month old 8 gal. nano reef

ResCogitans
12/16/2013, 07:05 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I am new to reefkeeping and this forum. I hope to learn from the wealth of experience and expertise that is found on this forum in the hope that it will benefit my tank and the inhabitants unlucky enough to be chosen by me! I have posted a picture of my tank, let me know what you guys think! If you have any questions, do let me know! Thanks and i look forward to getting to know my fellow reefkeepers. I need this because everyone I know cannot stand me talking about this any longer :spin1:

terrypercula
12/16/2013, 07:28 PM
Very nice! Let's get some info on her!

ResCogitans
12/16/2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Dave!

Here are my most recent results

Salinity: 33ppt
Temp: 76-77F
PH: 8.2 (red sea)
NH4: 0 (API)
N02: 0 (API)
N03:0 (API & Salifert)
PO4: 0 (salifert)
Ca: 425 (red sea)
Ca: 435 (salifert)
Mg: 1560 (red sea)
Mg: 1410 (salifert)
KH: 11 (red sea)

Maintenance regime:
Top-off twice per day (AM & PM)
Weekly 10% W/C with Red Sea Coral Pro salt and change of filter floss (JBL)
0.5g of Salifert Kh/PH buffer after W/C, 1g dose after lights of per day
1.5ml of Red Sea Reef Foundation A in the morning before work
1.5ml of Seachem Reef Plus twice per week to keep trace elements up

Feeding:
mysis shrimp and Fauna Marin LPS pellets for LPS corals
fish WAS fed with Aegis flakes (unfortunately the tank did not have a cover and he jumped a few days ago :confused:)

Livestock:
False clownfish (RIP)
Hammer coral
Torch Coral
R. Yuma
R. Florida
Green star polyps
Candy Cane coral
Striped mushroom coral
Zoanthids

terrypercula
12/16/2013, 07:48 PM
Seems like you have a good routine going. That's a huge plus when keeping any tank FW or SW. Keep up the good work!

ResCogitans
12/16/2013, 07:50 PM
HAHA I forgot about other vital information:

Life Support:

6.6 lbs. live rock
1" bed of live sand
Marina HOB fish breeder converted to algae filter with LR rubble, live sand and chaetomorpha. Algae filter lighting is provided by Aquael 11W 10k PC. Due to light spill and poor planning I run the lights at the same time as the main display lights. I find having a slightly higher KH helps keep PH stable.
Aquael FZN-3 HOB filter (1200 LPH) with floss, Seachem matrix, seagel and purigen
Kessil 150W 10K
Aquael 50W neoheater

ResCogitans
12/16/2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks Dave!

There is in my opinion an aversion to routine and maintenance but I find it one of the joys of the hobby. Although my experience is limited in comparison to others, I find that regular testing, adjustment, maintenance, and water changes go a long way. I believe that we earn the right to have marine tanks and feel that good advice, judgement and a bit of luck play a big part. I appreciate the comments bro!

stevenson22
12/29/2013, 03:28 PM
what a great tank