PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Species ID

Elvis48
12/17/2013, 08:29 PM
A while back, this mantis shrimp was at my local store, found as a hitchhiker on some live rock they ordered. Unfortunately, it died there (the next day) before I had a chance to setup my tank for it. Ever since then I've been trying to ID it, but have had no luck. Roy's list of stomapods doesn't seem to list it. It was only about 1-2 inches long, so I'm not certain if it may change colors as it reaches adulthood. The outstanding features were the orange and blue striped antennas, and a primarily translucent red body. I attached a photo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Calappidae
12/17/2013, 09:24 PM
I could see why it didn't make it in that setups.. starfish, anemones, and something else oh my!

Looks like a N. wrennerae or smithii to me with the stripes. I could be wrong.

Gonodactylus
12/18/2013, 09:39 AM
I have no idea. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. Too bad it didn't make it.

Roy

Calappidae
12/18/2013, 11:24 AM
From what I can tell it has red lines going down it's body like a G. ternatensis or ocassionally G. smithii.. what other species have that trait?

Gonodactylus
12/18/2013, 03:44 PM
There are many stomatopods with red intersegmental bands. I can think of examples in all of the major clades. My best guess is that this is a protosquillid -- something like Chorisquilla hystrix.

Roy