PDA

View Full Version : Question: Bleaching?

ucdcrew
12/18/2013, 11:17 AM
First off, I don't have any corals in my tank. Its still cycling but I did not know where I should post this general curiosity question. I remember when I was growing up hearing about large scale bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef. The research coming out was attributing the changes to increased water temperatures, as small a shift as 1 degree C.

Forgive my Spock-like curiosity, but logically, why wouldn't the temperature swings in an aquarium cause the same bleaching? Or does it? Are the 'events' in our tanks too short lived? Or are the corals acclimating?

FWIW - not trying to argue the legitimacy of global warming or their effect on the reef. I'm just trying to understand my mini eco-system better.

oshanickreef
12/18/2013, 11:21 AM
last i heard the GBR was raising to 83+

also a few years ago there was a bad storm that killed a lot of coral. I went there after it and the die off was crazy. but i think darwin will step in on this one.. survival of the fittest!

ucdcrew
12/18/2013, 11:24 AM
I've always wanted to go see it. Should probably plan that sooner rather than later, huh?

oshanickreef
12/18/2013, 11:37 AM
ya well its pretty amazing. there are clams the size of people and i was able to swim parallel to a really large sea turtle for a while and it didnt seem to care. it was breathtaking!