PDA

View Full Version : Angels for a macro tank?

natan
12/19/2013, 06:44 AM
Hello all,
I am now 10 years in the hobby and am yet to own a single angelfish. Reef tank, they are not reef safe… now am building another one for macroalgae, would love to put in some angels, but they are herbivores, right? On the other hand I've seen some stunning macro tanks with tangs here at some point in the past, so I am confused. Is it doable to mix the macro with herbivores? Are there specific uneadable macro species? Or any angels that only eat few specific plants and leave the rest alone? Any input will be appreciated.

mattsilvester
12/28/2013, 02:51 PM
It's case by case really but I've had a few different angel species with a few different macro types and generally they didn't eat it.

When you say macro tank do you intend to have lots of different types and colours of macro, or just anything that's green and grows well? If the latter then I'm pretty sure you'll find an angel / macro combo that works, by trial and error. If the former, I'm pretty sure the angel will like at least some of you macro selection.

Hope that makes sense.

natan
12/30/2013, 01:12 PM
I would prefer a lash diverse flora, but may be willing to make some sacrifices. what i do want to have is veriety of colors, so at least some reds (gracilaria, but possibly otheres too), octodes and thomething brown (kelp?) should survive. The more i research the subject the more i realise that i need a unique list of species, some seldom sold and some are never in the traide and will have to be collected by myself (sardines?). still otheres are commonly sold but usually kept in reefs and not associated with a planted setup (also will have no problem with it). Currently recearching fusiliers as potential candidates (difficult to get the smaller species), 7 monodactylus kottelati are on standby in a quarantine tank (love them), along with a cleaner gobby, starry bleny, yellowtail damzel (may end up in a reef, too shy for the set), old bicolor pseudo and a 6line (love the stinker). As U can see there are 2 kinds of fish-the pelagic ones on top and rock/cravice -dwellers at the bottom. What i dont have is something that is a midlevel dweller and a center of attantion in the tank. Considering a dogface puffer but they are too big and i don't know enough about them being plant-safe or fish-frendly with that sort of stupid pelagic fish. No tangs, so angels could be a natural option for the role, so...:headwally: