PDA

View Full Version : Weaning off rotifers on to TDO - need some help

HowManyClowns
12/19/2013, 11:42 AM
My first hatch I was able to raise 4 out of about 100, they are around 30 days old now and doing well and are now eating TDO B2.

My second hatch isn't looking good I only have a few left and I just figured out today that they are not eating TDO, I also think I had a ton of sidelight on this one because I didn't have time to paint the sides and just used paper (realized it was hatch night last minute).

What is the proper procedure in weaning them off the rots? My third clutch just hatched last night in rearing tank and it was a success, less than 10 eggs didnt hatch so I have a few hundred larvae this time around. I want to make sure I do this one right.

Are you guys counting your rotifer density and lowering slowly while adding TDO? I have been starting with TDO on around day 5. My second clutch has had TDO in the tank for almost a week and are not eating it for the most part (silver bellies).

I appreciate any input!

_shorty_
12/19/2013, 01:21 PM
I know people do it with only TDO - but I've been told to use BBS starting somewhere between day 4 or 5 (overlapping with the rots through meta) then start weaning to prepared foods from the BBS. My ONE attempt at this was successful - and I had 60 or 70 near 1 month before I lost the batch to electricution..

temper76
12/19/2013, 06:41 PM
You can introduce powder food "tdo" around the 6-7 day mix with the rotifers get them used to it you can take them off like on the 9th 10th day and just do the powder and so on.

HowManyClowns
12/19/2013, 07:30 PM
That's what I have been using, TDO A.

I wonder if I wasn't adding enough now. Do I need to decrease rotifers slowly? Or can I just keep density the same then go cold turkey after meta?

I started adding TDO at day 5 btw, they still have silver bellies which tells me they are still eating rots, my bigger guys have tdo colored orange bellies

HowManyClowns
12/19/2013, 07:31 PM
I would really prefer to not do BBS

reefstew
12/19/2013, 08:51 PM
I would really prefer to not do BBS

I have never used bbs for clownfish & been breeding them for 7 years & I average 200+ fish per batch. On day 4 I start with TDO A but keep adding rotifers till day 8. I moved 503 Snowflakes from 1 batch at 3 weeks old to grow out. Good water quality & well feed rotifers will get you higher yields.

HowManyClowns
12/20/2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks reefstew, appreciate the input! Good to know I might be overthinking things and I just need to break it back down to the basics!

Wilrok
12/27/2013, 11:19 AM
I'm going to give a try !

HowManyClowns
12/27/2013, 12:17 PM
Things are looking great so far around 300 in this clutch (I think) and no deaths so far, 9 dph more than 50% through meta.

Stopped feeding rotifers yesterday.

jf2381
12/27/2013, 12:19 PM
My second batch of clown fish are about 9 days old and they have been eating tdo exclusively since yesterday.

I'm sure they are eating it because I see that their gut is loaded after about 30 minutes post feeding.

_shorty_
12/27/2013, 12:22 PM
Great to hear both of your success!!