PDA

View Full Version : Ocean waves

Mikesville510
12/22/2013, 07:16 PM
Do ocean waves actually taper off at night?

I just want to know if this is true since there are settings on wavemakers for night mode where it dials down the power heads. I have my skepticism. :strange:

fijisrfr
12/22/2013, 07:28 PM
The waves don't but the surface agitation calms down due to less wind at night.

MrIcky
12/23/2013, 11:14 AM
Less wind at night = less waves. Waves are caused by wind. Small chop is typically caused by local temp differences between land and water (dusk and dawn). Big waves are caused by winds over miles and miles of ocean and daytime/nighttime doesn't make a lot of difference. At least that's my understanding.

ca1ore
12/23/2013, 01:03 PM
If you want a real answer, suggest you google it, rather than relying on generally uninformed hobbyist speculation. Best reason I can think of to reduce pump output at night is too save on a bit of electricity.

Khemul
12/23/2013, 03:22 PM
The night mode stuff is typically psychological. We like things to be calm and peaceful while we sleep, so must the fish.

billsreef
12/23/2013, 04:25 PM
The night mode stuff is typically psychological. We like things to be calm and peaceful while we sleep, so must the fish.

Yup. Typically what happens is that has the land cools in evening and gets closer to the ocean temps, the winds die down. As the land cools further at night, changing that temperature differential with the sea, the winds shift and pick up again. Same thing repeats in the morning.

Mikesville510
12/23/2013, 04:47 PM
If you want a real answer, suggest you google it, rather than relying on generally uninformed hobbyist speculation. Best reason I can think of to reduce pump output at night is too save on a bit of electricity.

I could, but with so many sources on the internet, how can I trust them? I'm not trying to be lazy, I just figured this was my best source to get real answers from experts with pertinent knowledge

Mikesville510
12/23/2013, 04:48 PM
I just thought ocean currents had to do more with the moon and it's current cycle in the sky, I wasn't sure how time of day played a role.

I just thought it's bologna to think that the oceans currents stop moving as fast just because the sun is down. Maybe I'm missing something. Is the wind theory a proven fact of science?

billsreef
12/23/2013, 05:09 PM
There are wind driven currents. There are also tidal driven currents and major oceanic currents like the Gulf Stream. Lots of factors come into play, so there is lots of variability as well.

fijisrfr
12/23/2013, 05:32 PM
Your original post asked bout wave action at night, now were talking about currents. Currents don't slow down at night. I'm no scientist but have been surfing since '72 so I do have a lot if wind,wave & current knowledge.

ca1ore
12/24/2013, 10:55 PM
I could, but with so many sources on the internet, how can I trust them? I'm not trying to be lazy, I just figured this was my best source to get real answers from experts with pertinent knowledge

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, just that I am not sure there are too many people here with the scientific knowledge to answer your questions - short of anecdotes and speculation. For example, I have done a lot of diving, both at night and during the day, and have not really noticed any material differences in water movement at night. Id that helpful, or even accurate - dunno.

Mikesville510
12/24/2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks, that's what I figured. It helps too just to have a consensus via discussion.

billsreef
12/25/2013, 08:09 AM
Out of this discussion, you've got input from a surfer, diver, and a marine biologist/captain/diver. Pretty good collection of input from people with plenty of good first hand observations, and even some scientific knowledge of the subject. Not bad for a simple question on an aquarium forum ;)

listen2bob
12/28/2013, 10:08 PM
As a surfer, diver and scientists I would say local wind waves from sea breeze/land breeze, yes typically calmer at night. Open ocean swells, like the ones that hit the reefs we emulate, no in fact the timing of the "best surfing conditions " around here is usually at night lol.

Big E
12/29/2013, 06:59 AM
I think more corals are affected by tidal currents than waves and why most setups would benefit from gyer type setups.

The moon cycles are what cause the tidal currents.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_currents/02tidal1.html

billsreef
12/29/2013, 07:46 AM
I think more corals are affected by tidal currents than waves and why most setups would benefit from gyer type setups.

The moon cycles are what cause the tidal currents.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_currents/02tidal1.html

That is depth dependent. Shallow reef crest, very much effected by wave surge. 100 feet done, takes some pretty big waves to show much if any effect.

Gandolfe
12/29/2013, 08:07 AM
What's a wavemaker? Isn't that a name brand of a ski-doo type boat?...LOL

Big E
12/29/2013, 11:09 AM
That is depth dependent. Shallow reef crest, very much effected by wave surge. 100 feet done, takes some pretty big waves to show much if any effect.

Yes that's my point,the majority of the corals we keep aren't reef crest corals except some of the acro tables and the thick branched species.

Most corals receive laminar flow that doesn't surge every couple of minutes like everyone wants to set up in their tanks. I doubt it matters much either way.........corals adapt to flow and most species specific types are grouped together when it comes to flow demands.

davocean
12/29/2013, 01:19 PM
As a surfer, diver, and a person that quite often dives at night(lobster season) of 37 years now I can tell you that waves and currents do not change just because it's night time.
The surface usually appears calmer at night due to usually less wind, what is below the surface may be a totally different story.

fijisrfr
12/29/2013, 07:45 PM
As a surfer, diver, and a person that quite often dives at night(lobster season) of 37 years now I can tell you that waves and currents do not change just because it's night time.
The surface usually appears calmer at night due to usually less wind, what is below the surface may be a totally different story.

Nicely stated Dave. By the way, this is Duncan from SDR. Funny running into you here!

superdragon
12/31/2013, 02:10 AM
keep things simple... pump night modes and LED lighting programs are marketing tools.

tommer725
01/01/2014, 10:12 PM
Less wind at night = less waves. Waves are caused by wind. Small chop is typically caused by local temp differences between land and water (dusk and dawn). Big waves are caused by winds over miles and miles of ocean and daytime/nighttime doesn't make a lot of difference. At least that's my understanding.
No, no. The moon causes the bigger currents, but the wind can cause surface agitation that only goes agitates 5-7 feet max.