PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Question

Ambition
12/23/2013, 01:26 AM
An opportunity arose to get a pair of L. carmabi, which are a dream fish of mine (I should say one of many). I already have a pair of G. melancara coming in with my pair of P. multifasciata after the holidays have past and the latter are eating strongly/conditioned. So the question is, how compatible are L. carmabi with G. melancara in a 65g tank? If they would work out, I feel that that would be my stock list for quite awhile so other tank mates should be of little concern.

snorvich
12/23/2013, 01:43 PM
While I have not done it, I would not try it. L. carmabi are rather expensive to risk with any basslet.

Ambition
12/24/2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks for chiming in, Steve. I'm really in the spot of it can go either way...

Liopropoma species belong to a different family (Serranidae) than Gramma species (Grammatidae). The former being a "true" member of the bass family like Anthias species. The body shapes aren't too similar, though I haven't seen both in person, and the coloration of both is different. Where I am getting reasoning for possibilities that it won't work out is that both species like the same habitat and are similar in dietary habits. I can see this as being an issue. I haven't been able to find much regarding both species specifically, but I came across a ReefKeeping (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/hcs3/index.php) article on the Liopropoma genus and it did mention that Grammas are good candidates for tank mates... I guess I would be interested to see if anyone has this combination, or one similar (or had) and how it turned out.