PDA

View Full Version : Help with Refugium & macro algae

dfm34
12/24/2013, 11:53 AM
I am thinking about creating a Refugium in the center section of my sump and I am seeking input from macro algae experts. I have a 75gal DT and 30 gal sump. The center section is aprox 8 gal (14x12x11) My goal with this is nutrient export (PO4) as well as food for my dwarf angle and kole tang.

I would like to add more than one type of macro algae for diversity and want to do it right. So I am open for suggestions. Also interested in knowing what type of lighting I was going to use a 6500k led from Home Depot and light for 12 hours opposite of my DT.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

fishtk75
12/28/2013, 02:38 PM
I am thinking about creating a Refugium in the center section of my sump and I am seeking input from macro algae experts. I have a 75gal DT and 30 gal sump. The center section is aprox 8 gal (14x12x11) My goal with this is nutrient export (PO4) as well as food for my dwarf angle and kole tang.

I would like to add more than one type of macro algae for diversity and want to do it right. So I am open for suggestions. Also interested in knowing what type of lighting I was going to use a 6500k led from Home Depot and light for 12 hours opposite of my DT.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I seen your thread and I had the same setup. 75 tank and 30 gallon sump with the middle setup as refugium. I used Chaetomorpha as they said here best at nutrients pickup fast. I cut a plastic sheet for windows from Home Depot to fit on top the 30 gallon sump area for the refugium then put on top a marineland 11 inch led light. I used a 6500k led with clip lamp but did not get all the light down in the sump. I trying this miracle mud in rubbermaid container to see have it works. Here is picture of it after 6 months.

dfm34
12/28/2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the response I just added some Chaeto yesterday. I am thinking about adding ulva and or red gracilaria as well.

fishtk75
12/29/2013, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the response I just added some Chaeto yesterday. I am thinking about adding ulva and or red gracilaria as well.

No problem.
After some time as in the picture I take 1/3 of it out to start take more out of the water.

unitedbga
01/12/2014, 02:02 AM
If you have the ability to make the center section larger you will decrease the amount of maint that your tanks needs. My display is 60 gallons and I have two 30 gallon single chamber above display refugiums. Each refugium has chaeto with the equivilent size of 2 basketballs. I have been running skimmerless for 2 years and my nitrates and phosphates are 0. Believe it or not I no longer do water changes except to clean the sand. All corals are growing great and no algae issues.

stgawne
02/20/2014, 09:36 AM
Unitedbta what do u dose with? I have a 180 gallon display with about a 12 gallon refugium I do have a skimmer too. I haven't done a water change in two years.I just top of with RO water.my nitrate 30 until I change my life Alden my thumb and I was only a 2500 K light bulb on accident I have recently swapped it out to a 5000 K LED bulb might switch to a 6500.