PDA

View Full Version : Torch Coral sick?

risen25
12/24/2013, 12:53 PM
Sorry everyone this is a duplicate thread from a seperate section. I am waiting for the other to be deleted.

Over the last two days 2 of my torch's heads have just basically disappeared. I am so angry as it was a beautiful torch. I just don't know what it wrong with him. I read something about brown jelly disease. I am not really sure what to look for. My GSP and Zoa colony seem to be doing fine right now. I have also noticed my ricordia mushroom hasn't been opening up as fully as it has before. Please tell me this is not something that is going to wipe our tons of money in coral. I had added an emerald about a week ago and the only thing I noticed was that he went straight to the torch and started picking at it. He played, slept and ate there. I even gave him dried seaweed to try and get him to stop poking at it. He destroyed the seaweed, but always made his way back to the torch. The only thing I have changed recently is begun adding eight four to up my ph. ph 8.0 (trying to raise) ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5. Water Change is scheduled for Thursday. I don't know if those two heads are dying or what.

kevin32
12/24/2013, 04:30 PM
Try dipping them in lugol iodine to stop any infection. That emerald crab could be reason it always retracted.

mtraylor
12/28/2013, 02:10 PM
what is your alk? If you actually have brown jelly disease you will be able to see it. If you see that, then make a 50% solution of water and hydrogen peroxide, and soak the coral for about 5 minutes. That will cure the disease. You may have to dip twice. If the emerald is picking at the coral, I would believe its eating dead flesh.

MikeTR
01/06/2014, 10:49 PM
man, i just lost the exact same torch coral to brown jelly.