PDA

View Full Version : the last of my 3 fish is also now dying

flixxx
12/24/2013, 02:36 PM
Here I am again with another problem.

To Recap, I bought 3 fish (First fish ever after the cycle).

1 Royal Gramma
2 Banggai cardinal

Royal Gramma: Acting strange, freshwater dip revealed white spots. People on the forum said it might be flukes. Died before i can treat him Link to thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2356733)
Bangaii Cardinal was breathing heavy and had a string of feces attached to him. The next day he died. People on the forum said it might have been a parasite. (No white dots during a freshwater dip) Link to thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357240)

At that point, I treated the tank with Prazipro. 2 dosings 5 days apart.

The last remaining fish (Bangaii cardinal) was doing great, chasing the food always eating.

Last week, After finishing the treatment , I added Chemi-Pure in my sump to clean out the tank of the remaining medication.

2 days ago, I noticed the Bangaii had no appetite. He is now breathing heavy, hiding in the corner and as for food, he comes out takes a bite and that's it (I tried pellets and frozen brine shrimp - his favorite). He doesn't have the speed he used to have and after his first bite he may take another but he spits it out

The only difference was that i raised the temperature by 1 degree F and I added the chemi-pure in my sump.

Everything checks out:

0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate
SG 1.024
Temp at 77 (I raised it from 76)

What is going on?

HumbleFish
12/24/2013, 07:43 PM
Not to sound harsh, but if you aren't QT'ing these fish before putting them in your DT who knows what diseases are now lurking in there. Two rounds of Prazi should eradicate flukes, but anytime you use medication in a DT with sand & rock it introduces an X factor that's difficult to account for.

My suggestion would be to QT the last remaining Cardinal (in an effort to save him) and then go fallow in your DT for at least 72 days. That should starve out Ich, flukes or whatever other disease might be present.

flixxx
12/25/2013, 11:04 AM
I already got the quarantine kit after the fact. Since I only had that one fish left though, I was going to QT the new entrants.

Anyway, the Bangaii died this morning. I put him in freshwater and these things that looked like airbubbles attached to a film were coming out of him.

I will run the tank fishless for the next 72 days but my concern is what if it's something else in the tank causing these deaths.

The tank was started around November 1st;

45 gallon DT
15 gallon sump
21 pounds of live rock
20 pounds of aragonite
14 snails (Trochus, nerite, cerith)
4 electric blue mini hermit crabs
2 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp

The cycle went super quick because the live rock was cycled and I brought it straight from my LFS to my home in water so there wasn't much die off.