PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer stealing potential coral food?

jungleboy
12/26/2013, 10:24 AM
I am in the process of learning about reef-keeping. As I have browsed the forum I saw people say that the best coral food is fish poop; but then people stated to get a skimmer to remove organics (poop) before they became nutrients in the water (ammonia etc.) So my question becomes is the protien slimmer taking out potential coral food? And if it is, would you have to dose coral food if you didn't have a protein skimmer? Thanks for helping me in the learning process,
Drew

jungleboy
12/28/2013, 10:34 AM
Bump

Boston21
12/29/2013, 03:26 AM
Skimmer's reduce the potential of high nitrate's by making your liverock/sand have less of a load on their biosystem by lessening the amount of Ammonia that has to be consumed. You can go without a protein skimmer, but it will probably mean more maintenance. And if your really curious what come's out of skimmer's their's a report somewhere on Google about it(might link it if I can find it again). Skimmer's do remove food, and they do remove waste. Anyone is ok to blast me if I'm wrong, but thats the best I could come up with on the spot.

Lonelyreef
12/29/2013, 09:13 AM
I actually agree with this. Sometimes and not to often though I will allow my skimmer to overflow for a day just to get some of the good stuff my skimmer sux out back in the system. I don't recommend thus for a new person but I know my tank very well and sometimes my water is what you would call to clean.

jungleboy
12/29/2013, 02:49 PM
Does a skimmer take out straight ammonia?

Crush Coral
12/29/2013, 08:07 PM
A skimmer does not remove ammonia. That is the job of your bacteria in your live rock and sand to do. I have a DJ power strip which all my equipment is plugged into. When I feed I shut off my skimmer and carbon reactor for an hour or two. Your corals will do much better if you feed them. My favorite coral foods are freeze dried reefroids and freeze dried cyclopeze. Happy reefing and enjoy watching your reef grow for ever.

jungleboy
12/29/2013, 10:13 PM
That's what I thought. Here is an article I found that relates to this. (Mostly at the bottom) http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/12/aafeature