PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys get enough light to the bottom of corals to keep them colored?

GroktheCube
12/26/2013, 12:31 PM
I current run a 4x54w ATI T5 fixture along with two buildmyled.com LED strips over my 4x2x2 120g.

The tops of my corals generally show great growth and color, but I seem to have a tough time getting enough light to hit the sides/undersides of my corals. A couple month old A millepora for example has turned an awesome indigoish blue color and is growing extremely well, but is is slightly angled on the rock, and the side that is angled slightly away is a much less attractive brown color. My stylo is another coral that looks fantastic on the tops of all of its branches, but it's base and the undersides of branches are quite pale.

I've been considering replacing the T5s with MHs to see if that gets me better coverage, as pictures I've seen of MH lit tanks down seem to have this problem.

Is that a good course of action, or is there something else I should be trying first? I don't want to throw away the money it'd take to set up some MHs if there's another option, especially given the potential for a high AC bill.

dowtish
12/26/2013, 01:08 PM
I would just look into getting an ATI 6 bulb or 8 bulb.

Typically T5's put off plenty of light and coverage, but not just 4 bulbs for a 4x2x2 120.

rsaha
12/26/2013, 01:17 PM
8 bulb T5 would work great for that size tank (same as mine). I'm currently running MH for the shimmer but have kept clams on the bottom of mine with an 8 bulb Tek Elite - no problem.

small_polyp
12/26/2013, 01:40 PM
U need alot more light..IMO double meaning 8 bulb T5. Or go MH....for example my 120 years ago had 2x 400w MH 2x 110w VHO.

GroktheCube
12/26/2013, 07:56 PM
I also have 140w of LEDs over the tank, it's not just the 4 bulb ATI fixture. The LEDs are substantially brighter than the T5s at even 25% brightness, but they also seem to provide a lot of "top" lighting, and not as much from the sides.

TOM BLEVINS
12/26/2013, 11:06 PM
wrasses with laser beams:bounce1:

GroktheCube
12/26/2013, 11:13 PM
Heh. My female McCosker's jumped into the overflow box a few days ago. I should have taken the opportunity to get her fitted up!

Dbondaruk
12/27/2013, 12:03 AM
If he has 4 54 watt bulb and Is having trouble with corals on the bottom. If there directly below the light wouldn't a 8 bulb fixture just make it a wider spread light but not increasing intensity on the light because the bulbs are still 54 watt each??? I could be wrong so someone correct me if I am

GroktheCube
12/27/2013, 05:19 PM
If he has 4 54 watt bulb and Is having trouble with corals on the bottom. If there directly below the light wouldn't a 8 bulb fixture just make it a wider spread light but not increasing intensity on the light because the bulbs are still 54 watt each??? I could be wrong so someone correct me if I am

I'm not really having trouble with corals on the bottom of the tank, penetration in terms of depth is fine.

The issue I'm having is more one of light "fullness". Spots where corals shade themselves even slightly are severely shadowed, and lose color.

polleke
12/28/2013, 03:19 AM
Is your bottom white (sand) already? That may help as it will reflect the light. Also more T5s do help but at a price. For the rest I don't know.

rsaha
12/28/2013, 04:19 AM
pics?

Chris Lakies
12/28/2013, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately (or could be fortunate :) you will probably need more T5's toward the edges of your tank to help with this issue. The width of the ATI 8 bulb Led/PM is 20.4". That would give you great coverage!

Is there a way to position the leds more toward the edges of your tank?

jroovers
12/28/2013, 08:15 AM
I don't think you can completely get away from this problem. As corals grow, some faster than others, the bigger ones higher up will shade something out lower down. I just removed my biggest colony for this reason. Annoying, but necessary. I'd suggest pruning some corals, and seeing if you can adjust your scape somewhat to get them out into the light.

GroktheCube
12/28/2013, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately (or could be fortunate :) you will probably need more T5's toward the edges of your tank to help with this issue. The width of the ATI 8 bulb Led/PM is 20.4". That would give you great coverage!

Is there a way to position the leds more toward the edges of your tank?

Well, as nice as the ATI LED/T5 PM looks, I ended up taking advantage of Marine Depot's 10% off sale, and ordering the 8x54w Sunpower. I already have enough spare bulbs to run it, so why not?

That with my two LED strips on the outside should be just about perfect.

I think I may frag my Stylo a bit too, see if I can reduce the degree to which it's shading itself.

If the extra 4 T5s don't have the desired effect after a few months, I'll look into other options.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Chris Lakies
12/28/2013, 10:23 PM
Awesome choice u really cant go wrong with the sunpower.

ssscuz
12/29/2013, 05:54 AM
I would give the new sunpower more than a few months.
Maybe 6 months before u go changing it again. You won't be disappointed but it may take time to all colour up again after the shock of more spectrum of light.