PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a Cadlights 12g AIO nano

acidflea
12/26/2013, 04:47 PM
I have had a FOWLR 75gal in the past. I am in the process of purchasing my equipment for a 125g with 75g sump in-wall in my basement. I decided I want a small tank upstairs and I am going to be picking up a cadlights 12g AIO nano from a friend. It is a full setup without light and fish. I am looking for suggestions on livestock options and lighting. Hope to be ale to keep some coral that are not real demanding on light.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

acidflea
12/31/2013, 11:38 AM
Any suggestions on lighting for this tank?

tntdsol
12/31/2013, 04:03 PM
Depending on your price range. I like the AI nano and the Kessil.

hersheyb
12/31/2013, 04:22 PM
Depending on your price range. I like the AI nano and the Kessil.

+1 on AI

terrypercula
12/31/2013, 06:10 PM
+1 on the Kessil if you're a simple guy and don't care too much about controllability. It's just a better light. AI has some nice features if you spend extra $$$ on a controller for it but apart from that I've never been that impressed with them.

terrypercula
12/31/2013, 06:11 PM
If you're looking for cheaper options reef breeders makes a par38 bulb with a gooseneck for around $100

acidflea
01/03/2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I will check into those. The person I got the tank from has a Kessil A150W 10k version for sale with gooseneck for $150.

Drew11
01/04/2014, 07:57 PM
Kessil is good or a PAR38. I have a par from rapid and I love it.

Hentz
01/04/2014, 08:09 PM
I agree with the Kessil. I've had great growth, color, and success with all of my corals during the time I owned one of these!

Nano sapiens
01/04/2014, 09:46 PM
These are nice little tanks, actually. I've had mine running for 5-1/2 years now as a 'mixed' reef tank (SPS, LPS, Zoas, 'Shrooms, etc.).

If it has the original stock pump, first thing to check is the pump motor shaft for rust. The real early 12g tanks came with a cheap pump, but the later, upgraded pumps are real good.

The Kessil 150 should work out well for up to medium-high light coral if placed nearer the top since the tank is not deep. I use the stock canopy with a couple Stunner Strips and a DIY LED strip to provide a more 'full spectrum' and some added power.

acidflea
01/09/2014, 08:37 AM
These are nice little tanks, actually. I've had mine running for 5-1/2 years now as a 'mixed' reef tank (SPS, LPS, Zoas, 'Shrooms, etc.).

If it has the original stock pump, first thing to check is the pump motor shaft for rust. The real early 12g tanks came with a cheap pump, but the later, upgraded pumps are real good.

The Kessil 150 should work out well for up to medium-high light coral if placed nearer the top since the tank is not deep. I use the stock canopy with a couple Stunner Strips and a DIY LED strip to provide a more 'full spectrum' and some added power.

The person I got the tank from had just replaced the pump because it went out. They did not have the canopy so no luck on that.

acidflea
01/31/2014, 03:13 PM
I just put in my order for a reef breeders par38.

acidflea
01/31/2014, 03:18 PM
Another question.

The friend that I got the tank from made a shelf out of eggcrate for the first chamber that the water gets skimmed into. She ran chemipure in that chamber for chemical filtration with a small blue/white foam pad at the top for mechanical filtration. Chamber 2 just has a heater and chamber 3 has the returm pump. Do you suggest adding anything else to these chambers?

My next question is about rock. I have some live rock in the tank now and was wonding if I would be able to add some base rock without any issues. I currently have 2 black clowns, peppermint shrimp, few crabs and snails and a few misc corals.

acidflea
01/31/2014, 04:46 PM
Another question.

The friend that I got the tank from made a shelf out of eggcrate for the first chamber that the water gets skimmed into. She ran chemipure in that chamber for chemical filtration with a small blue/white foam pad at the top for mechanical filtration. Chamber 2 just has a heater and chamber 3 has the returm pump. Do you suggest adding anything else to these chambers?

My next question is about rock. I have some live rock in the tank now and was wonding if I would be able to add some base rock without any issues. I currently have 2 black clowns, peppermint shrimp, few crabs and snails and a few misc corals.

Any suggestion for auto top off? Was looking at the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off

tntdsol
01/31/2014, 06:44 PM
You can never go wrong with Tunze, but there are cheaper options out there. Check out Autotopoff.com or Hydor makes a nice one.

acidflea
01/31/2014, 07:03 PM
You can never go wrong with Tunze, but there are cheaper options out there. Check out Autotopoff.com or Hydor makes a nice one.

ok thanks

acidflea
01/31/2014, 07:04 PM
Another question.

Any suggestions on this?

acidflea
02/04/2014, 11:13 AM
Another question.

??

tntdsol
02/04/2014, 12:55 PM
I can not answer the first question because I have very little experience with the chambers on this tank. I can say that you may want to find a way to add a small fuge with some macro, and possibly a bag of purigen. I would search on both RC and Google for other builds with the same tank and see what others have had success with.

IMO you can add more rock if you want, but just be cautious about how much you add and watch for a possible cycle. Depending on the rock you add you will most likely have some die off and therefore a cycle. I would just check my perms each day and do water changes as needed to keep the cycle to a minimum.