PDA

View Full Version : Distromium flabellatum

reefboy1
09/02/2003, 09:29 AM
Any ideas how to get rid of this stuff? It's covering most of my live rock and grow's like crazy. Right now I manually remove it, but it's a real pain. Tangs and Foxface don't touch it.

http://www.seaweed.ie/webpictures/Disfla.jpg

Oh, this id is very tentative but is the best pic I could find.

Thanks,

Art

bookfish
09/08/2003, 03:55 PM
Could it be this bryazoan?
Does it have "hairs" all around the edges?-Jim

reefboy1
09/08/2003, 05:16 PM
Jim,

No, no hair around the edges. I did a few searches on bryazoan and it doesn't look like that. Grows like crazy and covers grows on every surface.

Thanks though,

Art

Plantbrain
09/10/2003, 07:59 PM
Are you sure it's not Padina sp?
If it's not the actual photo of what you have and is somewhat close, you might have Padina.

Regards,
Tom Barr

reefboy1
09/10/2003, 09:35 PM
Tom,

Close, but not Padina. But by searching for Padina, I was able to id this stuff. It's Lobophora variegata, or more commonly called Brown Wafer algea. Supposably Naso Tangs and some Rabbit fish will eat it (my Foxface apparently isn't the right type).

Thanks for the lead - that did the trick.

Art

Jaykon
09/10/2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by bookfish
Could it be this bryazoan?
Does it have "hairs" all around the edges?-Jim

I do have a small patch that is just like the picture but it does have "hairs" around the edge. I did a quick search for brazoan but came up with little info. Could you give me a little info on it ? The only difference is mine has a light cream strip about 3/4 the way up from the base.
Thanks

bookfish
11/05/2003, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I just noticed that I never got back to this thread.
The bryazoan is a very weird animal that is a filter feeder and seems to like medium current and high plankton concentrations in the water column. I lost most of mine when summer heat made me cut back on feeding and the tanks became less rich overall.
It's pretty common among hobbyists here on the West Coast and although mine is all brown with some lighter shading I think i've seen it with a white stripe too.-Jim

ADHybrid
11/06/2003, 12:02 PM
reefboy1,

YGPM about the algae :D