PDA

View Full Version : New to Reefing...

FirefishFred
12/27/2013, 07:28 AM
Hi all just thought i would introduce myself,
i have just purchased a Kent Marine Bio Reef with delivery due tomorrow so excited!!
anyone got any tips and trick to help a newbie out?

thanks

JonV88
12/27/2013, 07:49 AM
Really study and understand the nitrogen cycle and how to start it before adding any live stock to tank I didn't and my first month was a nightmare and lost my first fish, patience and research is the key to a successful tank and also read up on quarantine tanks and have 1 ready and cycled like ur display tank before purchasing any fish, good luck a lot of hard work but def worth it

Reef Frog
12/27/2013, 09:36 AM
Welcome to RC!

+1^.

Knowledge, research. Read all RC Stickies while your tank cycles.
Have a plan. Mixed reef? What species? Fish list?
Patience. Take it slow. You can't rush biology.
Don't cut corners. Buy good stuff.
Understand the nitrogen cycle & how pest algae is avoided and controlled.
Know the requirements of any animal you intend to keep. Don't overstock.

Have fun!

Sugar Magnolia
12/27/2013, 09:38 AM
[welcome]

The best place to start is to read through the stickies at the top of this forum.

FirefishFred
12/27/2013, 12:52 PM
thanks i have study all about marine for about 6 months now and have finally bitten the bullet and brought the tank, got i idea of what CUC i want and a few ideas on fish but like most things i'm sure this will change when i see them in the shop lol.

Is there anything i should avoid especially?

dppitone
12/28/2013, 02:38 AM
Just start doing stuff and making mistakes. And use your "own" brain, don't take everything you read as gospel. Good fortune.

uruguayanreefer
12/28/2013, 03:36 AM
thanks i have study all about marine for about 6 months now and have finally bitten the bullet and brought the tank, got i idea of what CUC i want and a few ideas on fish but like most things i'm sure this will change when i see them in the shop lol.

Is there anything i should avoid especially?

Turbo snails... welcome to reefing

tubbs2323
12/28/2013, 06:19 PM
Don't rush anything, let your tank cycle take its course, add live stock and corals one at a time until u get the hang of this hobby. It gets very expensive when things start to die. Good luck and hope all works out for you.

Mg4life0331
12/28/2013, 06:43 PM
Read the stickies here, ask about compatibility in the stickied thread, and enjoy.

u00bdl1
12/28/2013, 08:29 PM
Read then read more.

FirefishFred
12/29/2013, 04:39 AM
got the tank and its all set up water and heated pumps all working but i added salt and i don't seem to be getting a reading on my hydrometer?
i added the salt as instructed, i used kent marine salt which im told is good?

acabgd
12/29/2013, 09:04 AM
got the tank and its all set up water and heated pumps all working but i added salt and i don't seem to be getting a reading on my hydrometer?
i added the salt as instructed, i used kent marine salt which im told is good?

Get a refractometer. You wouldn't be driving a car on bicycle tyres? Why would you then run a reeftank with a hydrometer when salinity is the basic element of a tank.

Avoid tap water, get a RO/DI setup. They're relatively cheap and will payoff in no time when you can produce your own water at home.

Can you test your hydrometer at a friend's tank? Or at your LFS?

ron2morales
12/29/2013, 11:34 AM
Good luck. Im looking into this hobby too. Look fun and a never ending learning experience.

FirefishFred
12/29/2013, 12:54 PM
finally got it sorted had a broken needle so got it changed at LFS, go it up 1.024 and all the sands settled now, gets it time to get all the parameters right!

FirefishFred
01/07/2014, 11:53 AM
wondered if anyone can help i've got live rock in the tank now and have about 5 largish air bubbles on the rock they have only formed today and the rocks been in since friday(5 days) salt is correct and temp is spot on, been running the lights for about 8-10 hours a day and have spots of green algae growing, just wondered what the bubbles maybe, some said may just be trapped air from the live sand getting caught on rocks?

Mark9
01/07/2014, 12:55 PM
Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
You will need that to follow the cycle.

FirefishFred
01/07/2014, 06:25 PM
yer i have a kit

FirefishFred
01/10/2014, 11:36 AM
hi wondered if anyone could help! the tank has been set up for about a month now and the live rock has been in for a week, the last couple of days i have had a massive outburst of brown algae all over the tank, the rock are covered, the sand and even the wave maker has some on it now, lots i have read about say this is part of the cycling process but i'm a little bit worried as a newbie i've never seen this before :worried: so basically i wandered is it normal? should i wipe it off the wave maker and the little bit on the glass, or just leave it? also when should the clean up crew go in? i haven't done any test yet as the LFS said don't do it till about a week after rocks go in as theres no point? and help would be very appreciated!