PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2 part dosing

Chris_FLA
12/27/2013, 10:22 AM
Hello all,
I need some know how about proper 2 part dosing. As of now my levels are as follows.
Calcium = 430
Alkalinity = 8.04 dkh
Magnesium = 1400

I am using Red Sea pro salt. I know how much calcium and alkalinity my reef is consuming in a week but I remain confused about 2 part dosing. I have the B-ionic 2 part and from what I have read these have to be added in equal amounts. When using the reef chemistry calculator, the calculations are not equal, my reef is consuming more calcium thus my calcium addition will have to be more than alkalinity. I am new to all of this so excuse my lack of knowledge. Do the 2 have to be added in the same quantities in order to work? Thanks for your help

disc1
12/27/2013, 11:15 AM
Equal parts is what it would work out to with all other t hings being equal. If your salt mix is a little high in calcium and your water changes skew the numbers then you'd for sure end up not dosing equal parts.

How far apart would they be? If it's giving you relatively close numbers, I'd start out equal and then adjust if the calcium starts to move. It's really hard to set up dosing based on calcium numbers because they move so slowly and have such crummy resolution on our test kits.