PDA

View Full Version : Help! My inverts are not living...

teachin4alivin
12/27/2013, 04:09 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank/40 gal refugium...My tank has been up and running for over a year and now. My snails and other inverts are not able to make it longer than a day. My water parameters are testing well in all areas except for Calcium (above 500). Could this be the problem? If not, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks....

Paul B
12/27/2013, 04:11 PM
No calcium would not kill snails. Only metal in the water would kill a snail so fast. Snails are hard to kill but copper or zinc will kill them right away.
Are there any other animals in the tank? You don't have corals do you? If corals are living then I have no idea what it is.

teachin4alivin
12/27/2013, 04:19 PM
yes I do have about 10 other fish, sting ray and few feather dusters. I have some coral in the tank but they do not seem to open. The corals just seem to do nothing. As far as metals not sure if and how I would get them in this tank. I am running another 45 gallon and having no problems with that tank.

Paul B
12/27/2013, 04:21 PM
Feather dusters would also die if there was metal poisoning. I am not sure what it is as I can't see it from here. Sorry

teachin4alivin
12/27/2013, 04:26 PM
Yes got me stumped to Thanks

Calappidae
12/27/2013, 04:39 PM
Firstly, I'd buy a copper test kit.

Secondly, stingray shouldn't really be in a reef setup around inverts. Not to mention they need a really huge tank.. the smallest being 180 to 300 gallons..

thirdly, How are you acclimating?

My calcium was 700 at one point without any loses in my shrimp only setup so thats not the issue. Are you using tap water? Some of the pipes to our plumping is metal and can release copper or heavy metals into the tap water we drink or put in our tanks. No water conditioner will take that out..

Where are you getting everything from? If everything is from the same place try buying something from another place incase your suppler is the issue here.

What type of corals? LPS and anemones will melt if they're dying.

teachin4alivin
12/27/2013, 04:53 PM
As for the water I run it thru a rodi filter and get about 1-3ppm. copper I will test for have that kit. as far as corals don't have much in this tank because they do nothing. put them in another 45 gallon and things are great in there. yes buy from the same supplier. Crazy thing is I do all the same things, use from the same rodi water I make and my 45g is doing great.

teachin4alivin
12/27/2013, 04:54 PM
one other bit of info, this tank was doing great up till two months ago, had some heaters go bad and wiped the tank out. I have been on the rebuild since then.

teachin4alivin
12/27/2013, 04:57 PM
copper is 0

Calappidae
12/27/2013, 05:04 PM
Must be something else. Are you buying from LFS or online? I'd try to buy from somewhere else and see what happens.