PDA

View Full Version : Peacock mantis tank

ttam
12/28/2013, 10:33 PM
I am in the planning stages of a peacock mantis tank. I am thinking a 20 long but don't know if it will be big enough. I don't know what lights but I want macro algae but don't want to cause shell rot. For filter I'm thinking of a large hob filter and a power head for flow. For substrate I like the 2-4 mm sand and some crushed coral for building his burrow. I am also considering making a PVC pipe tunnel for him but don't know if black or white is better. Any help will be appreciated.

Calappidae
12/28/2013, 11:13 PM
-20 is too small. 30 gallon is better and will work perfectly fine, but we can all argue and agree on a 40 gallon breeder being much, much more appropriate.

-Black pvc.. your goal is to have a U-shaped burrow that the animal can close itself up in and be in complete darkness when molting.

-If your water quality is up to scratch don't worry about the lighting. Lighting will only promote the rot if the specimen is unhealthy and in poor conditions.

For substrate, I'm no expert on substrate but hawaiian black and crushed coral I think is too sharp for them.

kegogut
12/29/2013, 08:45 AM
I use lots of LR rubble and sand. My burrow is 3" PVC and shaped kinda like a bow when bent back to shoot and arrow. Not quite a U but like the lower part of it. He seems to like it. Hes made good use of the sand and rubble in making the PVC his home and seems to like it.