PDA

View Full Version : Coralline and SPS ?

Nick S
12/29/2013, 01:39 PM
I've been trying to get my magnesium up to promote coralline growth, but I just had one concern. My tank is SPS dominated. Does SPS grow over coralline or vice versa? So my question really is, will they compete for space on which to encrust on the rocks?

Reefmedic79
12/29/2013, 03:33 PM
They will compete for space, as both likely release defensive chemicals to keep other things from growing too near them, but there is little you can do to control them. They will also compete for the nutrients needed for growth in the tank.

brandon429
12/29/2013, 03:35 PM
I don't recall a single online pic of coralline growing over sps but I have a tank full of and have seen many pics of sps growing over coralline covered rock.

ReefCowboy
12/29/2013, 04:08 PM
Theres no way to avoid that issue, if indeed coralline vs sps could really be a fight to be worrying about. In a mature tank coralline will be everywhere. I think sps will grow on coralline, but the opposite would not. I have colonies which the sps swallowed a pulg covered in coralline and are doing great.

One thing to consider is as coralline grows, it will start depleting lots of calcium from the tank.

Nick S
12/29/2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the help! I'm not too worried of nutrient depletion since it's a constant battle anyway and I test all parameters weekly and adjust my reactors and dosing accordingly.