PDA

View Full Version : Sick Regal? Help Needed!

newaquarist
12/29/2013, 08:16 PM
I have had this guy for a month. He is eating well, frozen and pellets....

He got a few spots on his rear top edge and a couple below and a couple on the tail fin about a week ago. It has neither progressed nor disappeared. He also has a small white node right on his upper lip. Is this Ich or something else?

Everyone else in the tank is doing well, with the exception of a yellow tang that developed a bacterial infection after i had to put him in a small sump area for 10 days to isolate him bc he was being very aggressive. Water parameters are good, 0 on ammonia and phosphate, very low nitrate...

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

newaquarist
12/29/2013, 08:17 PM
For some reason the attachment didn't come through on the original post.... here it is... thanks

Reef1ruler
12/29/2013, 08:17 PM
Do you have a pic you could share

Reef1ruler
12/29/2013, 08:18 PM
Oh nvr mind you already shared one

Reef1ruler
12/29/2013, 08:23 PM
Ok it does appear he has a minor case of ick. This is very common among angles,you said he is eating great,so thats a promising sign, just because of how contagious ick is,i would remove him and put him in a quarantine tank,raise the temp in the quarantine tank between 80-85,other then that there is not much that can be done.

newaquarist
12/29/2013, 08:30 PM
ok, thanks.... i tried a couple of fresh water dips but they did not seem to help at all. should i try a few more of them... i have done 3 minute dips in freshwater... what about soaking in an appropriate malachite solution with a bubbler a couple times a day for a few days?

Mrscribbled
12/29/2013, 09:06 PM
Please read through the stickies above so you understand the lifecycle and treatment of ich. FW baths, raising temps, removing only the infected fish; will not cure ich.

newaquarist
12/29/2013, 09:36 PM
yes, i read them. i already went through a 10 week fallow period, qt'd all fish with copper, and 4 weeks after i put them back, ich returned even though i never added ANYTHING additional to the tank... so, i have read, many, many people who take a different approach, one of keeping fish well cared for and stress free and manage the tank in a way that does not promote ich, even if it is probably always present...

Mrscribbled
12/29/2013, 09:58 PM
Another thing to consider if the specks are not falling off in a typical ich manner is the possibility of flukes, or lymphocystis. Regardless of managing a tank with ich, FW baths will not help with ich. Velvet and flukes yes. 5 minutes is the minimum, ten minutes the maximum in order to get any benefit from a FW bath.

newaquarist
12/30/2013, 07:11 AM
thanks Josh. I'm starting to feel confident that it is lymphocytis given the length of time the spots have been there and not fallen off, coupled with their location and absence of any spots on the body, only on the periphery. Doesn't seem like these spots could be manifestations of velvet or flukes.

On the freshwater bath, just for future reference. I've read all different things on the length of time the fish can safely tolerate. I would say the most common advice on the web indicates about 3 minutes as being the max. The regal did seem like he could have gone more than 3 minutes, but what do i know. Are you certain 5 to 10 minutes is generally safe?

thanks.

Mrscribbled
12/30/2013, 08:11 AM
Anything less than 5 is typically usless. 5-10 works well. Some people go thirty... granted if the fish is handling it.

MrTuskfish
12/30/2013, 11:25 AM
Ok it does appear he has a minor case of ick. This is very common among angles,you said he is eating great,so thats a promising sign, just because of how contagious ick is,i would remove him and put him in a quarantine tank,raise the temp in the quarantine tank between 80-85,other then that there is not much that can be done.

Not picking on you, I know you're trying to help. But almost every point in your post is totally wrong . Ich is not any more common with angels than most fish. Raising temps does nothing for SW ich. When a fish has ich, all fish need to be moved to a QT. The tank has ich, not just the fish showing signs. There are a few ways to completely cure ich. I'd read the ich stickies at the top of the disease forum.

To the OP; given the time frame, I think this is lympho.

Fishfirst
12/30/2013, 07:06 PM
Looks like lympho to me. Way to big to be ich, and flukes do not look white like that. The angel looks skinny, which is probably making its immune system malfunction, thus letting a virus like Lympho become an issue. I would remove the lympho with your finger nail and feed him 6-10x per day small amounts.