PDA

View Full Version : What is this on my Starfish?

MadScientistWRX
12/30/2013, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I have researched and researched and cannot find any answers. Does anyone know what this tissue looking stuff is growing on the back of my starfish?
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb363/mikeyVR4/Image-5.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/mikeyVR4/media/Image-5.jpg.html)

howaboutme
12/30/2013, 03:21 PM
That is your starfish starting to die. Mine is doing the very same though at times it looks like it will recover. I have had this same issue w/ my star for about a month and things seem to be normal (movement, oral disk in check) otherwise but I know any day it can go bad to worse. You probably know that keeping sea stars are very difficult even though the fromia is considered the most forgiving one. Have you had any salinity swings lately? Acclimation issues? If at any point (sea to distributor to LFS to you) the sea star is not acclimated properly, it may suffer.

MadScientistWRX
12/30/2013, 05:28 PM
That is your starfish starting to die. Mine is doing the very same though at times it looks like it will recover. I have had this same issue w/ my star for about a month and things seem to be normal (movement, oral disk in check) otherwise but I know any day it can go bad to worse. You probably know that keeping sea stars are very difficult even though the fromia is considered the most forgiving one. Have you had any salinity swings lately? Acclimation issues? If at any point (sea to distributor to LFS to you) the sea star is not acclimated properly, it may suffer.

Hello.

Ive had this one for about a month or so and it really has not moved much. When I purchased it, I spent a good 3 hours acclimating it to my water. No swings of any such in my tank.

I guess I can feed him to my harlequin shrimp in the other tank :(

howaboutme
12/30/2013, 07:17 PM
I guess I can feed him to my harlequin shrimp in the other tank :(

Lol! That's one way to look at the situation.

Jone
12/31/2013, 08:39 AM
Mother nature at work,,just Har shrimp have him...

Calappidae
12/31/2013, 12:25 PM
Let me know how that turns out as a harly feeder. Mine always completely ignored Fromia sp. especially marble stars, but they were frozen.

Fromias only eat invisible film algae, if the tank isn't big enough and doesn't have a good supply of their food they will starve and start to sorta melt. I had a red fromia that did fine and when I move him he starved in a week in the new tank.

MadScientistWRX
01/04/2014, 12:28 AM
Let me know how that turns out as a harly feeder. Mine always completely ignored Fromia sp. especially marble stars, but they were frozen.

Fromias only eat invisible film algae, if the tank isn't big enough and doesn't have a good supply of their food they will starve and start to sorta melt. I had a red fromia that did fine and when I move him he starved in a week in the new tank.

Nothing so far. I think my Harlequin is just full. He walked past some Astrina's and the Fromia. Either he is full or is a moron.

Calappidae
01/04/2014, 12:19 PM
Not all asterinas are consumable to harlequin shrimp. Fromia to my knowledge isn't a good feeder either.

MadScientistWRX
01/05/2014, 10:14 PM
Not all asterinas are consumable to harlequin shrimp. Fromia to my knowledge isn't a good feeder either.

too bad