PDA

View Full Version : Nano tank

Feelingsalty33
12/31/2013, 10:53 AM
Would the fluval edge 12 gallon be a good enough tank to do a reef

JAnwyl
12/31/2013, 11:49 PM
Looking at it it, seems like a nice little tank.

I would say the bigger the tank the easier time you'll have. Water paramaters don't change as quickly. Imagine your salinity if a gallon of water evaporates from a 12 vs a larger tank. (12 gallons limits your fish options, I had a 12 gallon that was quickly replaced with a 24 gallon) After a move I got a 50 gallon with sump.

I would also be hesitant with the lighting. I'm not sure what it has, but lots of time people end up finding a need to upgrade the lighting.

Not saying it couldn't be done but as a starter tank you might be hating life. I would recommend a Solana if you are ok with the possibility of light leakage (light leaking into room, my small tank was next to my couch and light leaking while attempting to watch a movie was not acceptable) If that is a concern I'd steer towards a jbj Nanocube 28.

Feelingsalty33
01/01/2014, 01:08 AM
I have a 90 gallon reef in my basement but I was just thinking a nano for my room cas people do some nice nano tanks

Crna
01/01/2014, 06:48 PM
I am amazed at what reefers are able to turn into gorgeous nanos! And various Fluvals are being turned into successful tanks. You already seem to have the know how and experience with your 90, so you are in a better place than a lot of us. My biocubes are my first tanks do to size limitations...

Feelingsalty33
01/02/2014, 12:35 AM
The biocube was my first tank too man. Then I upgraded to a 90 which has been running for 4 months now and I love it but I want a nano too cas people do amazing ones