PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Care to ID these critters?

lrs183
01/01/2014, 02:04 AM
Hello everyone,

For the most part I have done well identifying the things I have seen in my tank thus far. However, a few have escaped being made known. Maybe someone can help?

The slug/pod looking critter is a little smaller than the tip of an eraser. Moves slowly. Haven't been able to relate its ID. Nocturnal, appears to be 1. Always on same rock.

The biggest question to me are the arm/tentacle like pictures. I've since ruled out digitate hydroids. Hopefully I am correct here. Some may say brittle starfish but I actually saw one for the first time tonight and I don't think there's a similarity. I've seen these leg things coming out of a few areas.

The red polyp thing... well, I'm just curious as to what it is.

And the snail!

Thank you

lrs183
01/01/2014, 02:06 AM
As well, sorry for the pictures. My phone rotates them for whatever reason. A shift to the right should fix them.

katelara
01/01/2014, 05:44 AM
i just went from 36 to a 75 it will give you so much more options for fish and real estate for corals allthough the initial start up will be a bit more pricey, in the long run it will be the same.....as for cost, water changes i do 5g a week on the 36 and i will do 5g a week on the 75 as well the only other thing would prob be dosing cost if you get enough demanding corals and your electricity bill might be slightly higher.

DLANDINO
01/01/2014, 08:11 AM
1. vermatid snail
2. asterina star
3. micro brittle star
4. cant see it
5. colonista snail

All harmless EXCEPT possibly the asterina. Some varieties eat zoanthid. Typically those would have a bluish hue rather than white and black flecks.

lrs183
01/01/2014, 10:34 AM
Thank you so much! Yeah I have read that the asterinas may be bad and its a wait and find out game unless I eradicate now. I may simply buy a fish that eats them as part of its diet just because. I really appretiate it!

lrs183
01/01/2014, 02:10 PM
1. vermatid snail
2. asterina star
3. micro brittle star
4. cant see it
5. colonista snail

All harmless EXCEPT possibly the asterina. Some varieties eat zoanthid. Typically those would have a bluish hue rather than white and black flecks.

I just took a moment to re-read what you said about the second picture being an asterina star. There are a few of them in the tank and it is definitely not a star. I've seen it twice now and it takes on the appearance and movement of a slug (though it is not a slug, it is too flattened down to be one). The asterina stars in the tank are pretty easily defined. I wish I could have gotten a better picture of it but the focus was just being too weird. It was white in color with what looked like a couple specs of red. It's dead center of the picture, I don't really know what to think of it. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything but then again there's nothing in the tank except a dead shrimp and some live rock.

DLANDINO
01/01/2014, 02:42 PM
Humm, could be a sea slug or nudibranch

duane9
01/01/2014, 02:54 PM
I was thinking nudibranch as well on that one

lrs183
01/01/2014, 03:53 PM
Nudibranch... I've only really associated that name as a negative from things I have read. Do I have cause for concern here? If I see it again should it be plucked as a precaution? I am going to try to ID it with a nudibranch if I can.

lrs183
01/01/2014, 04:28 PM
I read somewhere that it may be a chiton.

lrs183
01/02/2014, 05:45 AM
Saw these in my tank tonight after I got home from work. Anyone mind IDing them?

On the pictures with the one that looks like a stalk or tube, it is important to note the type of tentacles/filter feeders. I'm not sure. I cannot seem to relate it to aipatasia or things of that nature due to the color of the tentacles. So I am at a loss on it and am praying it's nothing bad. It's by itself and I haven't seen anything similar around the tank. I barely nudged it with an item and it quickly went into the tube. Same goes for the more feathery critters I showed.

PS, I am only interested in IDing the feather critters and the odd thing in the stalk. I don't care about the star, haha.

I finally got the system to let me upload a picture of the feathery looking thing. The quality is terrible as I had to edit the picture a ton to make it go for some reason. It does not have a stalk or base. Rather a little, little tiny hole it will go into if nudged etc. Not in any type of colony and there are others in the tank (it and one 2 others I have noticed). Very distanced from one another.

Thank you!