PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade cycle ?

d-maz
01/01/2014, 06:50 PM
I'll be upgrading from a 90 to a 180 in a few months. Lets say I wanted to start with 75% new dry rock in the display and only put the rocks that have corals on them into the new display and put all my other rock into my sump. I will also transfer as much water from the old into the new as I can. Am I going to go through a normal cycle? Will it cycle much at all or should I be ok because of all the bacteria thats already in my old water/rock?

Reefmedic79
01/01/2014, 07:50 PM
If you move the established Live Rock directly from the old tank to the new, then there shouldn't be a cycle.

Too help even more, I'd start adding the new dry rock you intend on adding in to the 180into the current 90s sump to start populating the bacteria on the new rock too.

d-maz
01/01/2014, 08:01 PM
Yea, I was thinking about adding the new rock to my current sump. I plan on doing my aquascaping outside the new tank and getting it the way I want and then sort of dropping it in so it will probably be out of the water for a while. You think that will be ok?

maddmaxx
01/01/2014, 08:06 PM
Yea, I was thinking about adding the new rock to my current sump. I plan on doing my aquascaping outside the new tank and getting it the way I want and then sort of dropping it in so it will probably be out of the water for a while. You think that will be ok?

taking the established rock out of the tank and aquascaping out in the air before putting it in the new tank, will cause die off of bacteria and may help the chances of a new cycle. its not like your gunna finish the aquascaping outside of the tank in just a few short minutes. your gunna be there a while deciding if it looks good or not. so every second the live rock is exposed to air, bacteria is dying off. just keep that in mind. especially if you plan on putting some rock in ur sump to help cure it. taking it out to aquascape in the air will totally void the purpose of putting in the sump to cure...as an experienced reefer, i dont think thats really a good idea to do...

d-maz
01/01/2014, 08:16 PM
Ok. I figure it will take a while to aquascape so I'll probably scrap the new rock in the sump idea.

maddmaxx
01/01/2014, 09:25 PM
well i was talking more about the rock that is already in ur tank now. taking it out and letting it sit in air isnt a good idea. you will kill bacteria and pods and sponges etc etc by leaving it out in the air for a while. i would just ditch the idea of doin it outside of the rock, your gunna do way more damage then good by doin it that way. just tryin to help you and your tank out here....

maddmaxx
01/01/2014, 09:26 PM
and if you ditch that idea, it would be smart to add the dry rock to your established set up now to help it cure faster...

addictedreefer
01/01/2014, 10:06 PM
At the ratio of dry rock to cured rock you describe you will definitely experience a cycle. All that dry rock needs to cure. Although the use of seasoned rock from your old tank will likely speed up the process, it will still take some time.

dppitone
01/02/2014, 06:02 AM
The new dead rock you add will need to be cured or cycled for a period of time before your livestock can be added with it. Dead rock also leaches phosphates so you'll need to cleanse the phosphates out also.

The established rock can be out in the air. As long as it remains wet it will be fine. You can spray it with your tank water if necessary, but it takes a long time to dry.

It's very hard to kill bacteria. The advice that the bacteria will die off is incorrect.

d-maz
01/02/2014, 04:44 PM
I think I'll buy the dry rock and try to come up with a design I like and then strategically place it in my existing sump to cure. I have a spare 55 gallon laying around, maybe I'll fill that with the new rock and a skimmer and let it cure that way.

dppitone
01/02/2014, 05:30 PM
That's a good idea with the 55, or just a small trash tub. You could just do a couple of extra water changes rather then skimming, just another option.

maddmaxx
01/02/2014, 06:26 PM
i dont believe it is totally incorrect about the bacteria not dying, if he has the rock out of the water for say 30mins, 45mins on a table or ground aquascaping, changing pieces, stepping back looking at it. adjusting, looking at it, adjusting etc etc, with the rock out in room temp, its physics that water will drip down the rock. so the whole top of the rock will become dry if he does not "spray" the rock, but thats even more of hassle to do and more of a mess. my advice to him was based off of what he was stating the plans were. so again. it wasnt incorrect advice..!!!

dppitone
01/02/2014, 07:12 PM
In the ops circumstances here, the bacteria will go dormant and wake up again when wet. The way to kill bacteria is anti-biotics, uv, extreme heat like boiling, etc. They're very tough. That's why there are expectations to find them on Jupiter's moon Europa. You should research it.

However, what can die-off is microalgae on the rock that may not even be seen, and pods or other small fauna. Keeping the rock spayed/damp will be good enough.