PDA

View Full Version : Reef Friendly Wrasse Suggestions?

Neptune 555
01/02/2014, 10:10 AM
I am setting up a 75 gallon FOWLR + inverts and some corals... the focus is the fish not the coral but I do want my clean up crew and shrimp to live. Can you recommend wrasse that are good for this environment? I am going to also have a Flame Angel / Cole Tang / 2 percula clowns / Anthias.

I am confused about the reef safe and friendly nature of the wrasses I am interested in obtaining? I have a reef book that recommends the fairy wrasses along w/ the rainbow wrasse? Please share your reef safe wrasses choices and personalities.

A. Rainbow wrasse thalassoma lucasanam
B. Scott's fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus
C. Solar fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus.

thank you!
Neptune

aandfsoccr04
01/02/2014, 10:20 AM
The best options for completely reef safe wrasses would be from the Cirrhilabrus (Fairy), Paracheilinus (Flasher), and Wetmorella (Possum) genus'. There are a couple of other genus' that fit into the reef safe category, but they are either too aggressive or are very difficult. Wetmorella are best suited for smaller tanks (very cryptic fish that spend most of their day in the rockwork hunting), so that leaves Cirrhilabrus & Paracheilinus.

Here's some good reading: http://www.3reef.com/forums/tropical-fish/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-122261.html#.Urg50fRDva4

screamingibis
01/02/2014, 12:35 PM
Got a melenarus six months ago. Big mistake. Others have had success with them, but not in my situation. Eaten all shrimp and hermits and even starfish. It's a major pain to take out all rock with coral to get him out, but that's what I'm about to do.

hogfanreefer
01/02/2014, 12:50 PM
Man, you would have been hard pressed to pick three less reef friendly wrasse!

Fairy wrasse are great additions but you picked the meanest and one of the meanest in the genus.

The Paddle fin is one of the smaller in that genus but he will reek havic on inverts. If you don't want any shrimp, crabs, starfish, etc. he might be ok if he's the only fish. He will be aggressive and shy tank mates would be in trouble with him. He won't bother your coral though.

Lubbock's fairy wrasse and orange back fairy wrasse are both great/active/reef friendly fish. Carpenter's, McCosker's and Yellow Fin flasher wrasse are all super fish. One fish from the Halichoerus genus that usually is reef safe is H. chrysus which is inexpensive, beautful, very active and doesn't usually bother anything.

There are some much more expensive fairy wrasse that are drop dead gorgeous if you're willing to drop the jack for them.

Neptune 555
01/02/2014, 01:58 PM
Thank you aandfsoccr04!! Exactly the detailed information I was trying to obtain!!

MondoBongo
01/02/2014, 02:18 PM
i have a carpenter's flasher wrasse who is very cool.

he's got quite a big personality and is very active and colorful. if there is something going on in the tank, feeding, moving stuff around, etc... you can rest assured he will be right in the middle of it checking everything out.

lakeviewink
01/02/2014, 02:24 PM
I have a Lubbock's Fairy that is awesome for not bothering anything. I had a Red Headed that was great as well

devimik
01/02/2014, 02:38 PM
I have a Red Head or Solon Fairy Wrasse aka Tricolor Wrasse in my 90g. He's got a great personality and has doubled in size in the year I've had him. He is very peaceful and is always swimming out front in the tank. He changes colors slightly and puffs up his fins when he sees his reflection in the glass. I would highly recommend this fish based on what you're looking for.
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/9914/ztp7.jpg

Neptune 555
01/02/2014, 05:38 PM
thanks for the picture.. Yes I am looking them up at liveaquaria.com. Interesting that the LFS / my book marine fishes / and the website don't differentiate between the fairy wrasses? They seem to indicate that all are good? Yes I do find it funny that after looking up about 20 different wrasses the 3 I like the most are not ideal? OK I am liking the salon fairy wrasse given this feedback. I am leaning to something blue in color scheme b/c I want a red flame angel... I will add flame last...

Neptune

albano
01/02/2014, 06:42 PM
Yes I do find it funny that after looking up about 20 different wrasses the 3 I like the most are not ideal? OK I am liking the salon fairy wrasse given this feedback. I am leaning to something blue in color scheme b/c I want a red flame angel...

You realize that solar and salon are the same fish, right?
Anyway IME, blue wrasses are the most likely to lose color as they grow! Some suggest a mate to help it retain it's color