PDA

View Full Version : Bad Batch of Reef Crystals?

vballlife2
01/03/2014, 09:11 AM
Hey everyone,

I had been using Instant Ocean for the first year of my tank and decided as I was going to start adding corals to move to Reef Crystals.

after the first 2 water changes (5 and 10 gallons) the water started to cloud. I lost an anemone, a flame, and a royal gramma. I thought the cloudiness was from losing the anemone so over the last 2 weeks I have been running 5 gallon water changes every other day and running carbon (changed carbon twice now).

I am thinking maybe I got a bad batch of reef crystals and I am hurting my system by continuing water changes with it.

I have ordered Kent Marine Reef Salt today and will not do any other water changes with the Reef crystals as I am hoping this might be the source of the problem. If so I wont be using Reef Crystals anymore.

Any ideas if my thought process is correct?

Thanks,

reefndude
01/03/2014, 09:29 AM
How long did you let the new salt mix? I've been using reef crystals for a couple years with no problems. It does take a little while for a fresh mix to clear.

vballlife2
01/03/2014, 09:40 AM
24 hours is what I read and have been doing.

Shaummy
01/03/2014, 11:53 AM
I would be surprised if the Reef Crystals caused your issue, but salt brands can and do have quite a bit different makeup of trace elements.

You don't say how big your tank is, but if the water changes are 5 and 10 gallons, it's a fairly small tank?

The switch from regular IO to RC alone could have been enough of a shock to the system to have your anemone go south and subsequently take the fish down once the water was polluted.

It could just have easily been a switch from IO to any of the more "reef" centric brands. Now moving to Kent Reef Salt will be yet another change. Bottom line, I have been using RC for a while, no issues with it and it's been very consistent.

I guess what I wanted to say was it may not be the actual RC, but the way it was introduced into your system.

just my .02

oshanickreef
01/03/2014, 12:04 PM
i had big problems with RC but it was with my levels.
the calcium was at 600
the alk was at 7
the mag was at 1125...

im still trying to level it out with regular IO

vballlife2
01/03/2014, 12:12 PM
It is a 55 gallon tank and I alternate 5 gallon with 10 gallon water changes every other week. How would one adjust how to introduce a new salt mix?

Thanks

auburnreefer110
01/03/2014, 02:50 PM
This is why I switched to Seachems Aquavitro Salinity

reefndude
01/03/2014, 03:26 PM
What I did was mixed rc with io when I made yhe switch. Only reason was I had some io left.

bertoni
01/04/2014, 12:30 AM
I'd probably just do 10% water changes with the new salt every other week or so. If you're doing a change a week, that should be fine, too. Most people who switch salt products don't seem to have much trouble.

vballlife2
01/08/2014, 10:13 AM
I have mixed in 5 gallons of Kent Reef Salt and have purchased a UV sterilizer which will be in later this week that hopefully helps.

HumbleFish
01/08/2014, 10:20 AM
You aren't the first person reporting unexplained losses after doing a WC with Reef Crystals. Search the threads; there have been other anecdotal accounts of supposed bad batches.

hobbby3
01/08/2014, 10:52 AM
What about levels. What's the SG of the new salt water, Calc, Alk, MG? Do you use an RODI unit, do you heat the new water? If you have a 55 gallon tank and change out a 1/4 of the water and the temp is 10-15 deg different that could cause trouble too.