PDA

View Full Version : New Maxima Blue Clam - Moved

rldcpa
01/03/2014, 10:12 AM
2 weeks ago I got a blue maxima clam and set in on a rock 1/3 off the bottom of the tank. Today, I find it on the sand bed below the original placement. It is upright and looking good and gets good flow from the deep return pipe from my sump and it appears happy. Of course the light is somewhat less (appears to be 30% less light) due to being deeper in the tank and some light blockage from live rock above.

Questions:

1. Is it ok to leave on sand?
2. Is it normal for these to move until it finds a good spot?
3. Do I need to move it to what I think would be a better spot or is the clam smarter than me?

Any other comments or ideas.

boostd2valve
01/03/2014, 10:24 AM
Mine moved everyday for a few weeks until it found a happy spot. It's been there for for 10 months or so and is happy. My clam was also very at the -1" mark

boostd2valve
01/03/2014, 10:26 AM
It's fine on the sand. it's gonna need a place for its foot to attach. If there is nothing under it, it will attach to the bottom of the tank! Which is fine if he's in a good spot and your keeping for the long haul!

rldcpa
01/03/2014, 11:54 AM
Its in a good viewing spot so I am ok with where its at. However if it wants to move to the back of the tank I won't want that.

So it can't just attach to sand?

Can it climb rocks to find a good spot? Or once on the bottom its on the bottom permanently?

Mine is a little over a inch long.

boostd2valve
01/03/2014, 04:48 PM
Most likely his foot will reach threw the sand depending how deep of a bed you have. If it had a small rock under it would attach to that and stay put if it likes it there.

rldcpa
01/03/2014, 06:49 PM
I have a shallow sand bed. I don't have a rock under him as I did not plan on him going there. He looks secure, but can't tell if he is attached to anything. His position is perfectly straight up.

moliken
01/05/2014, 07:10 AM
probably attatched to glass bottom