PDA

View Full Version : Lots of little bubbles coming off my Live Rock

caribfan
01/03/2014, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but I figured I'd start here.

I have a 28 gallon Biocube that I have sitting in a "Florida type" room. It's the southern side of my house and it gets sun pretty much the entire day. At the moment, the only inhabitants are a picasso clown, a skunk cleaner and a smattering of hermit crabs and snails.

I added the in tank media basket to the back side and also scraped off the pant on the back panel of the tank and have grape caulerpa growing. It's the perfect set up because of the southern facing windows for a refugium.

The tank has been up for close to 4 months now and is well cycled. I'm beginning to grow coralline and have tons of pods, so everything seems to be moving along pretty well.

My one concern is that in periods of bright sunlight, the live rock appears to let off a significant amount of bubbles.

The live rock is from another established tank I had.

Any thoughts, anybody ever seen this?

Thanks,

Matt

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trimD421EC55-F6AA-4151-8980-3D7BA5E424F7_zpsa1a70736.jpg (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trimD421EC55-F6AA-4151-8980-3D7BA5E424F7_zpsa1a70736.mp4)

tanked37
01/03/2014, 02:58 PM
It's oxygen bubbles, which are the byproduct of Cyanobacteria. Probably getting too much light. Possibly reduce feedings and any excess nutrients.

caribfan
01/03/2014, 03:12 PM
It may not be clear from the video, but there is no visible cyano in the tank. Additionally, the bubbles generally come from the under side of the rock. It would be next to impossible to capture with my iphone, but there is an actual buildup of larger bubbles underneath the rock.

I have a pretty light feeding regime also and I can't believe that clownfish is generating that much waste.

I haven't testing my nitrates lately, but I'll do that later tonight if I have time and report back, I'd be surprised if they were over 10.

tanked37
01/03/2014, 04:05 PM
The bubbles on the rock are the visible sign. It's just the early stages of some cyano activity. I'm not saying it's a huge problem or anything. We can let others chime in, but that's my guess.

caribfan
01/03/2014, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I appreciate your thoughts. I didn't mean to shoot you down, I just figured I'd give you more details, most specifically that none of the tell tale visible signs of the cyano are apparent. I suppose you could argue against that since there are little bubbles.

It is definitely more prevalent when the sun is shining directly on the tank. I have an AI nano over the tank and while it's bright, it doesn't generate the same effect as the sun. It's only running at about 50% though.

Either way, I appreciate your thoughts.

caribfan
01/04/2014, 09:03 PM
Quick update on the parameters.

pH: 8.3
Alk: 12 dkh
Nitrate: less than 1

Anybody else ever seen their live rock produce a constant stream of small bubbles when exposed to sunlight?

BTW, it's not like I live somewhere close to the equator where the sun is bright, i'm in southern Ohio.

caribfan
01/06/2014, 04:42 PM
So does anybody else have any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned about the bubbles? I have intentions of adding a maxima clam soon and I guess I was concerned that a bunch of microbubbles might do harm?