PDA

View Full Version : new tank algae

vigsupreme
01/03/2014, 06:08 PM
I am trying to get a new tank up and running. It is a 90 gallon with skimmer running 35 gallon sump. I have about 1 1/2 inch of sand 130 pounds of live rock, media reactor running some carbon and some caulerpa algae in the sump. I have let the water run for a few weeks and have put in some raw shrimp. The shrimp are gone and my ammonia levels are right around 0.5 to 1.0 ppm with no nitrite or nitrate. I have put two hardy fish in the tank to help with the cycle. The 2 led lights I have just started running on the simulated day cycle.

I have come home to notice that there is some brown algae growing on my live rock. I looked closer and noticed that there are specs of this algae all over the place in my tank (powerheads, glass, etc.) Is this common? and how do I get rid of it?

I am thinking about buying a small maybe 20 to 30 gallon algae cleaner pack but I do not want to overload the bio load in the tank. However they eat algae correct?

I am not worried yet but is there going to be an explosion of algae in my tank? and also when I do my water changes what is the best way to get this stuff off my live rock and such?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

shaginwagon13
01/03/2014, 06:15 PM
If you still have Ammionia, your cycle is not yet done and fish or inverts should not be added.

Algae blooms after a cycle are a very common. Normally you do a 40-50% water change and then add a clean up crew. Unfortunately your cycle is not done, as you still have Ammonia so you have to wait it out and hope the fish you added do not die.

BrianD
01/03/2014, 06:17 PM
Yes^