PDA

View Full Version : cheap nano reef led ideas?

mattwils71
01/04/2014, 07:27 AM
i have come across lots of less that are cheap and they all claim to be able to grow coral ( I'm looking for lps )
i have seen green element to arcadia classic to the par 38 to cheap chin ease knock offs. I'm on a tight budget as I'm saving up for an upgrade tank (kent marine bio reef) so what do you suggest?? my price range is 25 to 40 yeh ik thats not much aha

i saw this and i couldn't help but look as it looks great and perfect size for my tank does anyone out there know anything about this light???http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTENDABLE-SLIM-LED-OVERTANK-LIGHT-AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-MARINE-TROPICAL-LIGHTING-/400610775483?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item5d464351bb
if you do please comment or message me or whatever it claims to have a 12k light output which is great as i currently have a compact t5 producing just under that

any help will be much appreciated :wave:

Wmich2008
01/04/2014, 09:49 AM
I doubt these lights would be able to grow corals. The blues are only .25 watts. That is not a lot of power at all. If you want to grow corals with leds you are going to have to bump your budget up a bit.

zachts
01/04/2014, 02:29 PM
That light will not cut it. Probably not even as good as the PC bulb you have now.

You could DIY something for that price range, especially since it's just a temporary solution and if you have some aluminum laying around and a small fan and an old power supply that is at least 1.5 amps and voltage output of somewhere between 20 and 50 volts DC that would make it even cheaper. If you have to buy everything it will be tough, but there are some direct from china multi chip options floating around on ebay that would work. that PC light you have looks aluminum, you could possibly mount a couple Royal Blue leds to it but it wouldn't be pretty.....

But an LED par bulb would probably be the best and simplest solution, just find one that is heavy on the blue LEDs......

robn70
01/04/2014, 05:47 PM
The Coral Compulsion par bulbs have gotten good reviews on some of the other forums. I've picked up a par 30 for my little pico project.

http://coralcompulsion.com