PDA

View Full Version : Boston/Massachusetts

JLynn
01/04/2014, 12:12 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had been diving in the Boston/Massachusetts are a and had pics or could describe what they had seen. I am considering going to Boston University, and am interested in setting up a nano tank filled with local sea life if I do attend, so I am curious to see what is up there. Thanks!

ace_92101
01/04/2014, 12:58 PM
I haven't dove Mass, but I've dove NY. Unless you're very far off shore viz is generally poor. I believe there's some diving on the North Shore, but most of the diving I've heard about is on on Cape Cod or the off shore islands. You may be able to collect a few tropicals at the very beginning of the fall semester that are carried with the Gulf Stream (laws permitting).

JLynn
01/04/2014, 05:27 PM
Good to know. I won't be collecting tropicals, though. If I do a biotope it will definitely be a coldwater tank. I was thinking of doing one in the 18"x18"x12" AIO offered by Micro Reefs.

billsreef
01/05/2014, 09:38 AM
Good diving up on Cape Ann. Water's fairly clear, but cold even in summer once you drop below the thermocline.

http://www.capeanndivers.com/findadivesite.htm

JLynn
01/05/2014, 09:58 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

teemee
01/06/2014, 10:07 AM
I have been told in the past that there may be a dive club associated with the aquarium, and that in the fall they collect tropical fish that have come up in the gulf stream that wouldn't survive the winter... you might want to look into it...