PDA

View Full Version : Help Newbie Stock A Pico Tank

Pm5k
01/06/2014, 02:28 PM
I have a five gallon Fluval Spec V pico tank.

5 Pounds Live Sand
5 Pounds Live Rock (Just one rock but thinking that might have been a mistake)
1 Yellow Clownfish Goby
1 Eagle Eye Zoa
1 Red Leg Hermit

Can anyone else suggest additions?

I still have stock lighting so I'm not really looking to add any corals unless it's one of the two that will actually grow with my light, lol.

I'm kind of hearing I may be tapped out on fish with this size tank, although I'm not happy about that.

What should I do as far as a cleanup crew? Was thinking another hermit, maybe blue leg or neon blue stripe. Are there any I shouldn't get? I'd be more likely to just get whatever I can find at the LFS.

Also, maybe one shrimp. I was thinking maybe:

Peppermint
Coral Banded
Candy Stripe
Sexy
Or Tiger Pistol (Too big, needs a certain type of goby?)

I had been thinking emerald crab but was worried it would get bigger and try to eat my fish.

TIA!

coralsnaked
01/06/2014, 02:34 PM
I'd say rock is fine but too much sand, however may too late to just remove!

I'd go w/ anotherclown goby OR a small shrimp and call it enough

Pm5k
01/06/2014, 02:37 PM
I heard you can't mix clown gobies, especially in this size tank. Otherwise I would easily get a green clown.

Maxxumless
01/06/2014, 02:47 PM
I'd go with 3x Astraea Turbo Snails, 2x Cerith Snail, 2x Nassarius Snails (maybe 1x Sm Mexican Turbo). I'd be prepared to feed them directly at first as your tank matures and has enough food to sustain them. I'd also go another direction than most and get 1x ORA Tiger Goby's and 5x Sexy Shrimp. Both are super tiny and not very big on the bio load. Optionally, I might even do 1x Helfrichi Firefish (with above inverts) as long as the tank has a tight fitting lid.

Pm5k
01/06/2014, 02:51 PM
See someone else told me it was hermits or snails not both because the hermits will eat the snails for their shells.

snorvich
01/06/2014, 02:52 PM
I heard you can't mix clown gobies, especially in this size tank. Otherwise I would easily get a green clown.

That is correct.

snorvich
01/06/2014, 02:53 PM
See someone else told me it was hermits or snails not both because the hermits will eat the snails for their shells.

That also is correct.

Pm5k
01/06/2014, 02:55 PM
I mean I guess I could get snails, plenty of empty shells for the hermits, and they might not eat the snails, but I'd rather not take that route if it's even reasonably feasibly.

It's weird though because Petco sells a cleanup package that includes both.

snorvich
01/06/2014, 03:18 PM
I mean I guess I could get snails, plenty of empty shells for the hermits, and they might not eat the snails, but I'd rather not take that route if it's even reasonably feasibly.

It's weird though because Petco sells a cleanup package that includes both.

Of course. Very high margin items. But they do not have to live with the results. I personally prefer snails as one can get a variety of type specializing in different clean up issues.

Pm5k
01/06/2014, 03:30 PM
I just thought the hermits were more interesting to watch, lol.

clay12340
01/06/2014, 03:51 PM
I'll second the sexy shrimp recommendation. They were great in my 3 gallon, just make sure you've got some sort of lid as a couple of mine decided the ocean was bluer on the other side of the tank and got a bit crispy. I'd stuff it full of easy to care for corals and probably leave it at just the one fish.

snorvich
01/06/2014, 04:08 PM
I just thought the hermits were more interesting to watch, lol.

Sure. But only in the beginning.

syrinx
01/06/2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah hermits are a drag. They are so covetous of shells they will dig a snail out of one, and then decide its too heavy.