PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Radium MH Replacement

solojrbb
01/06/2014, 11:33 PM
I'm currently running 4 Radium HRI-T, 250W, 230/B/E40, Blue bulbs (single ends) I do love the color and their over all performance. The price has gotten a little crazy though can someone with experience with EACH bulb suggest one as good, better, or almost as good for a better price? I know it will have to fit my socket and would I be wrong for saying that is 23MM? or what does that 40 stand for in the part number? I am over due for a bulb change and I am trying to save for LED lighting, but at these prices times 4, I won't be there soon..Thoughts and Ideas are welcome. Thank you..

AcroporAddict
01/07/2014, 02:14 AM
I'm currently running 4 Radium HRI-T, 250W, 230/B/E40, Blue bulbs (single ends) I do love the color and their over all performance. The price has gotten a little crazy though can someone with experience with EACH bulb suggest one as good, better, or almost as good for a better price? I know it will have to fit my socket and would I be wrong for saying that is 23MM? or what does that 40 stand for in the part number? I am over due for a bulb change and I am trying to save for LED lighting, but at these prices times 4, I won't be there soon..Thoughts and Ideas are welcome. Thank you..

Not sure where your confusion regarding the base measurement is coming from? If you have a single ended Radium halide bulb, it is a mogul base, and will fit any mogul base socket, so don't worry about it. All single ended Halide bulbs sold in the hobby are mogul based. They are all the same size.

IMO, you won't find any other Halide bulb comparable to a Radium for color rendition without supplementation. The only one comparable or even better, IMO, was the Helios brand, but they had so many quality issues all the North American sellers stopped carrying them. If you buy another brand bulb, you will probably have to supplement with some actinic type fluorescent bulb to get close to the rendition Radiums alone will give you.

I run 4x 400 watt Radium mogul SE bulbs over my 465 gallon SPS reef, and you just need to time when you buy to Sales run by the online sellers. I bought four Radium 400 watt bulbs from ReefGeek this past holiday season for $54 each and free shipping.

Personally, I would look at lessening expenses in some other area of your life. My tank is way too important to cheap out on the one factor that has the biggest impact on coral coloration than any other.

moondoggy4
01/07/2014, 07:28 PM
How often do you replace your bulbs? How do you have your bulbs elevated over the tank for example suspended or in a canopy?

buffalo123
01/07/2014, 08:06 PM
Try BRS maybe you can start a group buy their lowest price is $78. Thats the price you would get it for, as part of a group buy . Regular price $82
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1897/

Timber77
01/07/2014, 09:53 PM
20 hamiltons are not too bad , but I like the radiums that much better myself

solojrbb
01/09/2014, 01:57 PM
I just can't afford to buy 4 of them right now and they need replacing. They are a few years old. what is the proper bulb life before you have to change them? Do you wait for them to burn out? or change them after so many hours? i've always been confused about this.

parrthed
01/09/2014, 02:17 PM
I agree the Helios were the closest I have ever seen to a radium. I ran mine on lumatek selectable ballasts and changed them about once a year.

ptreef
01/14/2014, 09:19 AM
If you need cheap bulbs to get by...look here.

Many great reports on these bulbs as well if you want to search.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/aquarium-lighting/
Probably gonna want a 20K bulb that they sell as I think these run a little whiter than typical given K bulbs from other mfg's

tkeracer619
01/15/2014, 03:27 PM
Honestly if its been a couple years since you have changed them and you need to change 4 I would change them out once per month.

Yes, there price is crazy. The only reason for it is they know we need them. The bulbs are used and and designed for industrial building lighting.

What ballast do you run and how long are they on per day? That makes a big difference on the life. I've seen crummy ballasts burn them out in less then a year. On a 250w hqi ballast I usually run them about a year and a half.

I bet if you look at the bulbs the internal arc chamber will be distorted and deformed. At a couple years you are risking physical bulb failures which if the glass makes it into the tank will poison it with heavy metals.

Stick with radiums but switch them out one at a time. Some of those cheep bulbs only last a handful of months. Its not really worth it IME.

BTW: Premium Aquatics has them for $71ea