PDA

View Full Version : weird red alage

Parker7
01/07/2014, 02:02 AM
Hi every one i got this weird relish purplish alage growing fast in my tank I got a 75 with 2 hqi and 4 to bulbs nitrate is almost always zero and I do weekly 5 gallon water changes with red sea pro I'm worried because the alage is growing over my coralline and I don't know if it will harm my coral it's very course does not grow tall grows more like a thick woven mat and is hard to pull off the rocks my yellow tang seems to nip it but he could also be grabbing organic stuff that get s trapped in it so I'm unsure if any one knows any thing about it plz help Thank you every one

Nina51
01/07/2014, 08:19 AM
sounds like cyano (red slime). there's a sticky about getting rid of it. you need to get on it right away before it takes over. nasty stuff!

Parker7
01/07/2014, 11:23 AM
It's deff not red slime unless there is a new strain of it. This stuff is course to the touch like rubbing ur finger on a rock but it also flexes. And when u put a hose to it when doing a water change it doesn't even budge

brandon429
01/07/2014, 12:07 PM
post pics in the large thread in the nanos forum called pest algae challenge thread

pics