PDA

View Full Version : Activated carbon

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 08:01 AM
I have yellow water in my tank and I want to make it crystal clear. I am thinking to use carbon. Any suggestions for me? Also which brand is the best?

downbeach
01/07/2014, 09:09 AM
I would recommend using ROX 0.8 in a reactor. I get it at BRS or Buckey Hydro here in the US.

Dapg8gt
01/07/2014, 09:15 AM
Rox is the best by far. But realize a little goes a long way.

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 10:08 AM
I would recommend using ROX 0.8 in a reactor. I get it at BRS or Buckey Hydro here in the US.

Do I need to use it for long term or I can stop using it when my water is crystal clear ?

Dapg8gt
01/07/2014, 10:26 AM
It's totally up to you. People use it for a few days a month or just as needed. Other people like myself run it 24/7.

It will polish your water fairly quickly so a few days will be fine if that's all your looking for.

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 10:39 AM
It's totally up to you. People use it for a few days a month or just as needed. Other people like myself run it 24/7.

It will polish your water fairly quickly so a few days will be fine if that's all your looking for.

If I stop using the carbon will the yellow water come back?

ridetheducati
01/07/2014, 10:43 AM
If I stop using the carbon will the yellow water come back?

Weekly water changes can minimize yellowing of water. Natural biological processes causes the discoloration.

downbeach
01/07/2014, 10:51 AM
Do I need to use it for long term or I can stop using it when my water is crystal clear ?

I use it 24/7 and replace it once a month.

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 10:56 AM
Weekly water changes can minimize yellowing of water. Natural biological processes causes the discoloration.

I do 20% weekly water changes since I started with this tank. That's why I am confused why I have yellow water

Dapg8gt
01/07/2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah eventually the yellowing will come back. Like stated above its natural and unless you are polishing or changing large amounts your water will not be super clear. There are other media's to do the polishing if your anti carbon.

GroktheCube
01/07/2014, 12:21 PM
I do 20% weekly water changes since I started with this tank. That's why I am confused why I have yellow water

20% weekly WCs means 20% weekly dilution.

Lets say, for example, that your tank produces 5g for yellowing compounds per week. After the WC, you'll be left with 4g remaining. Next week, you'll be up to 9g, and down to 7.2g after the WC, so on and so forth.

Frequent WCs often provide enough dilution that it takes a LONG time for significant quantities of undesirable chemicals to build up, but they aren't able to keep the levels of a chemical that isn't being consumed, bound, adsorbed, or otherwise exported from building up over time. They only increase the amount of time it takes to build up.

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah eventually the yellowing will come back. Like stated above its natural and unless you are polishing or changing large amounts your water will not be super clear. There are other media's to do the polishing if your anti carbon.

Are there other ways the make the tank crystal clear then using carbon?

GroktheCube
01/07/2014, 12:43 PM
Are there other ways the make the tank crystal clear then using carbon?

Using very fine mechanical filtration media can filter most particles out of the water, and UV sterilizers can also help water clarity by breaking down a lot of chemicals that discolor the water.

downbeach
01/07/2014, 12:58 PM
Are you using a skimmer? Is it in good working condition?

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 01:26 PM
Using very fine mechanical filtration media can filter most particles out of the water, and UV sterilizers can also help water clarity by breaking down a lot of chemicals that discolor the water.

I have an uv sterilizer running all the time, but my water is still yellow

Kaman8
01/07/2014, 01:27 PM
Are you using a skimmer? Is it in good working condition?

Yes I have a hydor slim skim nano skimmer and he is doing great.

Kaman8
01/08/2014, 07:28 AM
Can please someone tell me which activated carbon brand is good?

shifty51008
01/08/2014, 07:43 AM
as stated the ROX 0.8 is great.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

this is a bit cheaper but you will use twice as much as the ROX and will have to rinse it more
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-large-particle-lignite-aquarium-carbon.html

downbeach
01/08/2014, 07:53 AM
If you can't get/find the ROX 0.8 carbon, try Seachem Matrix Carbon

Dapg8gt
01/08/2014, 08:51 AM
You can pretty much use any carbon from the major brands. Some are better than others. There is quite a few threads on rc about carbon so searching the topic should yield you some results. Bottom line is anything labeled for aquarium use will polish the water.

There is supposedly some issues with Hlle in larger fish like tangs and angels with carbon in general (Rox is supposed to be not as bad) but with the skimmer you listed I doubt you have any. And I can't say that it's true regardless.

Seachem matrix should be available in Hong Kong I'd say that's your best bet if you want a top tier carbon if you can't get brs. Kz also has carbon for the zeo guys that's big in the UK.

Kaman8
01/08/2014, 09:54 AM
You can pretty much use any carbon from the major brands. Some are better than others. There is quite a few threads on rc about carbon so searching the topic should yield you some results. Bottom line is anything labeled for aquarium use will polish the water.

There is supposedly some issues with Hlle in larger fish like tangs and angels with carbon in general (Rox is supposed to be not as bad) but with the skimmer you listed I doubt you have any. And I can't say that it's true regardless.

Seachem matrix should be available in Hong Kong I'd say that's your best bet if you want a top tier carbon if you can't get brs. Kz also has carbon for the zeo guys that's big in the UK.

We don't have rox 0,8 here , but we do have matrix carbon. Seachem matrix carbon will leach phosphate right? What do you think of API super activated carbon? It say that it is phosphate free

Dapg8gt
01/08/2014, 10:26 AM
I would use the matrix over API any day. I wouldn't rely on anything the manufacturer States. A lot of people use matrix with no issue.

Kaman8
01/08/2014, 10:50 AM
I would use the matrix over API any day. I wouldn't rely on anything the manufacturer States. A lot of people use matrix with no issue.

And what about seachem seagel? It is matrix mixed with phosguard. Do you run carbon all the time or stop using it after the problem is solved?

Dapg8gt
01/08/2014, 12:24 PM
I run carbon 24/7..if you have p04 issues seagel may work but I believe it's an aluminum based media in the carbon that's been replaced as of semi recently with a better option gfo. I would stick to normal carbon and use gfo seperatelyI if you have p04 issues.

I tried the aluminum based remover and nothing in my tank responded well at all. I may not have rinsed it enough but I almost lost a bunch of lps . It's an old school method that is not widely used anymore I believe.

Kaman8
01/08/2014, 01:11 PM
I run carbon 24/7..if you have p04 issues seagel may work but I believe it's an aluminum based media in the carbon that's been replaced as of semi recently with a better option gfo. I would stick to normal carbon and use gfo seperatelyI if you have p04 issues.

I tried the aluminum based remover and nothing in my tank responded well at all. I may not have rinsed it enough but I almost lost a bunch of lps . It's an old school method that is not widely used anymore I believe.

Ok thanks.......I will get the carbon tomorrow. How long will it take to remove to yellow water to crystal clear?

downbeach
01/08/2014, 01:14 PM
That depends on how much has to be adsorbed, and how you are employing it. i.e. a fluidized reactor will provide more contact time, so will work faster than a bag sitting in a sump.

Kaman8
01/08/2014, 01:39 PM
That depends on how much has to be adsorbed, and how you are employing it. i.e. a fluidized reactor will provide more contact time, so will work faster than a bag sitting in a sump.

I am using a canister filter

ridetheducati
01/08/2014, 02:21 PM
It can take 1 - 20 days to remove discoloration.

Kaman8
01/08/2014, 06:10 PM
It can take 1 - 20 days to remove discoloration.

Ok thanks