PDA

View Full Version : Weird algae/air bubbles?

Dwade09
01/07/2014, 04:56 PM
Went on vacation for 10 days and came back to an algae ridden and air bubble covered tank. Phosphates are at .25, nitrates, nitrite, ammonia is 0, ph is @ 8.3. My clean up crew is only 5 turbo snails, and a peppermint shrimp (had red leg hermits but they were wrecking havoc on my zoos). Is there anyway I can get some sort of crab, shrimp, or snail to get rid of this junk?

Reeferz412
01/07/2014, 05:01 PM
You need to figure out what is causing your phosphates.. it looks like hair algae. How much do you feed? How long are your lights on? How often do you do water changes? Do you use RO water? What is the TDS of the RO water? Perhaps the LR is leeching phosphates? These are some questions you could ask yourself and then diagnose the problem.

Dwade09
01/07/2014, 05:15 PM
Lights are RB a4 and it is on for 10 hours a day, max at 50% and only on for 2 hours at 50%. Water changes bi weekly and 20% of water. I use a 5 stage ro/Di and the measures 0 going out. How can you tell if the rocks are leaking phosphates?

Reeferz412
01/07/2014, 05:35 PM
I believe the only way you can tell is if you eliminate all the other factors and if you still have algae growth, this means your rock is leaching phosphates. You could add GFO to absorb it, manually remove the algae or use a tooth brush and scrub the rock in a bucket of tank water, or soak the rock in muriatic acid if you are sure it is the rock causing this. Or undergo the testament of time and let the rock run its course until it stops leaching phosphates.

nlgill13
01/07/2014, 05:41 PM
some types of dry rock are notorious for leaching phosphates.

What type of rocks do you have?
What color is the algae (i assume brown but that could be a camera filter)?
How long has the tank been running?
Is the algae slimy?